Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   bowl cozies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bowl-cozies-t301042.html)

tamjonw 11-20-2018 12:12 PM

bowl cozies

I'm not sure this belongs here but i'm hoping someone can help. i want to make some bowl cozies out of 1 piece of flannel and 1 piece of regular fabric with no batting in the center. will that work ok? It seems like the flannel would be heavy enough and keep your hands from getting too hot. i'm hoping someone here has tried it or has some advise on it!! Thank you!

trish b 11-20-2018 12:55 PM

Bowl cozies are nice. I would put 2 layers of flannel in my cozie, to help keep it from tearing, as well as for insulation.

osewme 11-20-2018 01:05 PM

I don't see any reason why flannel would not work. I think I would put 2 layers like trish b suggested for better insulation. We use these cozies every day of the year!

thimblebug6000 11-20-2018 04:40 PM

I don't know if all flannel is 100% cotton or not, but make sure to only use 100% cotton throughout.

illinois 11-21-2018 03:50 AM

I'd question the use of flannel unless you are using the cozy only as a "hot pad" for a dish taken from the microwave. My concern would be that the fuzzy might be more flammable?? I don't put my cozies in the microwave though so flannel might work just fine. I'd think an extra layer of flannel would give an extra layer of protection though. Maybe use 2 layers of flannel and a top layer of something that wipes off easily if a bit of a spill. Flannel is so absorbent that even a drop will soak in.

PatPitter 11-21-2018 05:03 AM

I also agree with not putting the cozies in the microwave. Even the ones that are 100% cotton I don't put in the microwave.

tamjonw 11-21-2018 05:14 AM

thank you so much for all your input, i think i'll forgo the flannel. was also think of using jean material but that may be an issue as well!!

mengler 11-21-2018 06:01 AM

Bowl buddy (cozy)

Originally Posted by tamjonw (Post 8164673)
thank you so much for all your input, i think i'll forgo the flannel. was also think of using jean material but that may be an issue as well!!

I’ve made buckets of these I do put them in the microwave. When I gift them I include an instruction card. No more than 3-4 minutes. I like using two layers of quilt fabric and batting in between. I use wrap n Zap batting. I like the feel of the buddy with batting in between. Very durable and functional. There used to be warm tater batting but it’s not made anymore. Joanns has wrap n zap so often it’s on sale.

MaggieLou 11-21-2018 06:47 AM

I don't put my cozies in the microwave either.

I also have a question. When I've made the cozies my instructions say make a 1/2" dart on all four sides. That doesn't seem to be big enough. Mine don't stand up like some I've seen. They look more like hot pads. I think the dart needs to be deeper but I'm not sure what size. Would 1" be enough?

francie yuhas 11-21-2018 08:03 AM

I use 1 1/2 inch darts on a 10 inch square.