Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Boy do I need help with this one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/boy-do-i-need-help-one-t162436.html)

leatheflea 10-22-2011 02:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The MIL made this top 30+ years ago and never made another quilt related item. She has asked me to quilt it for the last 3 years. So finally DH brought it home. I never notice how the top really looked till I started looking at it and sizing it up for the Longarm frame. I cant put this on the frame. So I decided to hand quilt it, she's in no hurry. But for the life of me I dont know how I'm gonna quilt this and hide the wonky, puckers and waves. Any suggestions and help would greatly appreciated.

Looks sorta okay from this angle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]275596[/ATTACH]

Bless her heart, she's so proud of it and I would love to make it special, but I just don't knoow how!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]275598[/ATTACH]

loves_2_quilt 10-22-2011 02:42 PM

Can't help you, it is pretty and I'm sure it will be nice.

lfstamper 10-22-2011 02:42 PM

You will figure something out to hide the wonkies...lol.

bearisgray 10-22-2011 02:42 PM

I wonder if one could steam press it to block it somewhat? At least long enough to get it layered and pinned?

It's quite pretty, and doesn't look that wonky from the pictures.

QuiltnNan 10-22-2011 02:43 PM

i'm thinking that baptist fan might hide some puckers. the quilt is pretty

QM 10-22-2011 02:45 PM

Begin by getting it damp and pressing it well. You may be able to reduce the wonkiness that way. Ditch stich the major lines. Use heavier/lighter stitching to correct looser/tighter areas. Good luck.

irishrose 10-22-2011 02:53 PM

What's the puffiest batt you can use on the longarm? The batting will hide some of the wonkiness if you can use a puffier one. It looks slightly discolored. Can you press it if it is without setting the discoloration?

jljquilter 10-22-2011 02:55 PM

Stitch in the ditch and wash and dry before giving it back. The dryer will make it look just fine and the flaws won't be as noticeable.

chairjogger 10-22-2011 02:56 PM

don't worry about the wonky part. jsut enjoy the whole picture of the quilt !!

I like it !!

ube quilting 10-22-2011 02:57 PM

From the views you show, the puckers dont seem to bad and if you try putting it on the LA it may just stretch the quilt the little bit it needs to smooth this out. I would at least try putting it on the LA before attemping hand quilting. You may have to square this one up by adding another border and squaring it off. If the quilt lays flat enough, go ahead and do a nice allover pattern on it. Maybe a star pantograph No need for any heirloom quilting or SITD. It's worth the try. If it doesn't work then proceed to the hand quilting and only a little time will be lost to trying and you will learn just how much of a wonky quilt a LAM can handle. It is a pretty thing.

peace