Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Boy-Oh-Boy I Sure Need Suggestions ~ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/boy-oh-boy-i-sure-need-suggestions-%7E-t243252.html)

DebbE 03-15-2014 11:25 AM

I would cut off the binding, and put a new backing on it. Instead of stitching (which would show on the front), I would tie the backing onto the quilt, and have the ties show on the back only. You can put the ties close together, to help the quilt for stability, and you'll have a good fix to help stabilize the fragile fabric already on the quilt. That, with the new backing, should hold it together well for the future. Put the bindings back on and you're good to go.

onaemtnest 03-15-2014 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem (Post 6627895)
Cutting off the binding would be an easier solution than un doing it. It would only affect the dimension of the quilt slightly. If your outside border is just a fabric one not and pieced, it would not mess up any design. Just cut off the binding and resew a new one on after adding the new backing.

I think I understand what you are saying about not affecting the design to the front. Inserting a photo of the front, apologies if this comes through as big as the post #1.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467300[/ATTACH]

Nammie to 7 03-15-2014 11:36 AM

Sounds like you have some good suggestions here - hope it all turns out well for you. What a bummer!! A friend of mine had this issue with some "old" black fabric -- she had pieced a quilt with it and it started to come apart when it was being quilted at the long armer. Hers was not able to be salvaged though.

TeresaA 03-15-2014 11:45 AM

Does he by chance have a cat? It almost looks cat scratched. Also, I think you should tell us which manufacturer so we can avoid their fabrics! There is nothing wrong with stating the truth about a particular brand, even if it's bad.

Also, if the problem isn't cat scratching, I would definitely contact the manufacturer and tell them about what happened. They might attempt to compensate you in some way, with perhaps some new fabric.

Otherwise, everything the others said. You may not have to completely replace the backing, just sew in a "patch" where the shredding is occurring and then hand quilt it to secure it...or ask your long-armer to do it. You could even tie it to secure the patch. Use a fun floss to tie it or use buttons. Doing this would also eliminate the need to remove the binding.

TeresaA 03-15-2014 11:49 AM

Also, cute quilt!

KalamaQuilts 03-15-2014 11:55 AM

I've refronted and rebacked a number of quilts, works fine. It is a lovely quilt and a lovely gesture.
And yes, don't depend on the dark colors for longevity.

Jim's Gem 03-15-2014 12:05 PM

Hmmmmmm..... cutting of the binding will slightly affect the dimensions of the light blue stripe. It will not be the same size as the ones in the middle. But it would only be removing about 1/4". You could just undo the hand sewn part. With the binding "open" you can sew over the previous stitching of the binding then turn it over and re-sew the hand sewn part. Hope that's understandable. :)

bearisgray 03-15-2014 12:14 PM

That is a very nice quilt. I think I would remove as much of the backing as possible - think removing the paper from a paper pieced block. The threads that are under the quilting stitching - I would leave alone.

Sorry this happened to you.

DOTTYMO 03-15-2014 12:24 PM

You don't need to cut off binding just undo the hand stitching on the back and lay new backing on top then machine exactly on old row os stitching then hand stitch.
Have you thought about tying the quilt and not quilt.

auntpiggylpn 03-15-2014 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem (Post 6627978)
Hmmmmmm..... cutting of the binding will slightly affect the dimensions of the light blue stripe. It will not be the same size as the ones in the middle. But it would only be removing about 1/4". You could just undo the hand sewn part. With the binding "open" you can sew over the previous stitching of the binding then turn it over and re-sew the hand sewn part. Hope that's understandable. :)

This is what I would do too. It's only the hand sewing of the binding that needs to be un-sewn. I too think I would leave the misbehaving back on, add another backing and tie it backwards. Good luck; so sorry this happened!