Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BP, vodka, Or Starch fyi (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bp-vodka-starch-fyi-t232027.html)

Tiggersmom 10-08-2013 12:14 PM

BP, vodka, Or Starch fyi

With all the threads discussing Best Press, home mix of voka, spray N starch. A friend told me that takes classes from Carrie Nelson, owner of Miss Rosies quilt patterns always uses: [drum roll please:] Niagara non-aerosol spray starch! sooooooo if it's good enough for Miss Rosie's talented owner I thought I would try it. For a 22oz spray bottle it cost at one of our local grocery stores about $2.48.

I bought a bottle and did a comparison between Best Press and the Niagara. I use the unscented BP, Niagara the 'original' has a fresh linen scent, which I didn't think was too strong and I have a very persnikty nose. [I was not offered an unscented version, so I don't know if they even make one]:eek:

Best Press irons beautifully as always, and I was very impressed with the Niagara. I love BP, but with that being said I absolutely would keep bottles of the Niagara non-aerosol on had, especially at the savings of cost per ounce over BP.
btw: I have made the spray starch/water from scratch and it has many flakies, Niagara non-aerosol has a few flakies, and with BP I don't ever remember getting any.

MadQuilter 10-08-2013 12:25 PM

I mix my own BP alternative with Vodka, Water, and a few drops of lavender essential oil from the health-food store. Works like a charm.

nvb50 10-08-2013 12:35 PM

I have always used Niagra and have no problem with it.

DogHouseMom 10-08-2013 12:41 PM

That is quite a savings ... I buy BP by the gallon and dilute it 50/50.
Niagara @ $2.48/22oz = $14.43/gallon x 2 (because I dilute) = $28.86/gallon. I want to say I pay around $40 for the gallon of BP.

I may have to check it out. I actually didn't know there was a Niagara "non aerosol". I'm only familiar with the blue aerosol bottles.

But ... is Niagara "starch" or "sizing"? Or am I confusing it with "Magic Sizing" in the blue aerosol bottle .....

TerryQuilter 10-08-2013 01:03 PM

I use the Niagra and really like it. I found it once, at Target, but couldn't find it anywhere after that. Bought mine from Amazon and ordered what I thought was 2 bottles but was actually 2 boxes (6 bottles per box), for something less than $10 per box. I have lots of Niagra for all my quilting buddies!

annie123 10-08-2013 01:08 PM

Dog House Mom: If you are using the Niagra and it comes to $14.43 for 1 gallon and you dilute it to makes 2 gallons would not the cost then be half as much or $7.22 a gallon? Math is not my forte but that is how it seems to me.

ranger 10-08-2013 01:14 PM

How do you make the vodka one...what's the ratio of vodka to water?
First time I've heard of this.
Thanks for help.

Tiggersmom 10-08-2013 01:17 PM

On the bottle of Niagara it says a "non-aerosol spray Starch"......
I found mine at our local 'Fry's' grocery store, not sure where else they carry it.
:o I don't buy alcohol and I've heard multiple times about the vodka, nobody has said 'exactly' what the vodka does??? if it's not a starch or sizing, what does it do to the fabric? TIA for ansering this.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 6338075)
That is quite a savings ... I buy BP by the gallon and dilute it 50/50.
Niagara @ $2.48/22oz = $14.43/gallon x 2 (because I dilute) = $28.86/gallon. I want to say I pay around $40 for the gallon of BP.

I may have to check it out. I actually didn't know there was a Niagara "non aerosol". I'm only familiar with the blue aerosol bottles.

But ... is Niagara "starch" or "sizing"? Or am I confusing it with "Magic Sizing" in the blue aerosol bottle .....

Patty Patches 10-08-2013 02:47 PM

I buy my Niagara at walmart.I really like it,used it for a few years now.

grma33 10-08-2013 02:54 PM

That`s what a lot of us Canadians use. We clear the shelves when we are in the us as we can`t get it here! Gale Guess I should say talking about Niagara