Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Braid Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/braid-question-t65086.html)

Lady Shivesa 09-16-2010 01:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
...At least, I think it's called a braid. I'm going to make a table runner using Quiltbug.com's free table topper pattern (pic below).

But I want to put a border around it, and this question may be a bit premature, but - when you're going to put a border around a braid like this, do you cut it differently? I mean, one of the last steps on quiltbug's instructions is to cut it so the sides are straight (instead of the triangles that you would have left). So do I cut it the same? For some reason I'm thinking if you cut it the same and added a border, it would cut off your points.

Not sure if any of that made sense, but I hope it does!

Also, I have three different purple fabrics (see pic below) - do you recommend doing dark in the middle and then the medium and the white going out or white in the middle and medium and dark going outward?

Where it says to cut it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70785[/ATTACH]

Table Topper from Quiltbug.com
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71017[/ATTACH]

My Fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71018[/ATTACH]

HeatherQuilts 09-16-2010 01:06 PM

You would cut the sides straight, just make sure you leave 1/4 inch away from the corner of the center diamond so that the point doesn't get cut off.
Pretty colors! I'm not sure how I would place them....

Grama Lehr 09-16-2010 01:07 PM

Your fabrics are lovely!! You could go either way, light to dark, or dark to light, both would be great!
If you put a border around it, it will not cut off the points, just make the runner longer and wider.
Please post a picture when you are done, I really like your colors. :thumbup:

Sadiemae 09-16-2010 01:38 PM

Any color placement will be beautiful. If I were doing it I would put the white in the Center and the small squares. I have made these, they are fun and easy.

Mariposa 09-16-2010 01:41 PM

Your colors are very pretty! I'd put the light in the small squares-

janRN 09-16-2010 01:57 PM

I just finished this runner today-same downloaded pattern. I used Christmas fabric and it turned out really pretty. I recommend using the lightest fabric as the center and the small squares.
Sadiemae said this was an easy pattern. I didn't think so LOL!! The cutting instructions were confusing to me and then trying to place the strips--bless you Sadiemae if you had an easy time.
Can't wait to see a pic of yours done in those beautiful fabrics.

Sadiemae 09-16-2010 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I just finished this runner today-same downloaded pattern. I used Christmas fabric and it turned out really pretty. I recommend using the lightest fabric as the center and the small squares.
Sadiemae said this was an easy pattern. I didn't think so LOL!! The cutting instructions were confusing to me and then trying to place the strips--bless you Sadiemae if you had an easy time.
Can't wait to see a pic of yours done in those beautiful fabrics.

Isn't it fascinating how some things might be easy for me and difficult for you--then something that is easy for you might be a struggle for me. It is the same with Log Cabin which I found simple and yet some people really struggle with it. Applique' I found frustrating and most people find it easy.

Maggiemay 09-16-2010 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have made a few of these with & added borders. I was afraid, too, that the point of the center square would be cut off, but it wasn't. Adding a border with a 1/4" seam to the braid would be no different than adding your binding with 1/4" seam- right? I also thought that the cutting directions were more work to figure out than making the runner! I just took this pic with my cell phone so it isn't as clear as a camera shot- sorry!

sumcoop 09-16-2010 03:35 PM

Those of you who have done this...how do you do the binding for the points and angles?
Is there a tute?

pennyj123 09-16-2010 03:40 PM

Gday, they are all beautiful. I was wondering when making these tablerunners and placemats, what does everyone use for the middle part, what type of wadding etc... ?