Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Breaking thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/breaking-thread-t246338.html)

Sheilz 05-05-2014 02:04 PM

Breaking thread?

Hi I wonder if anyone can advise me please as to how I can prevent thread constantly breaking when I'm either doing embroidery/quilting. I'm currently trying to quilt an inbuilt design on my machine on a hoop. I have matching threads in the bottom line 60wt in the bobbin and top thread and am using a top stitch needle. I'm also supporting the weight of the quilt to minimise pressure but the thread keeps breaking. Also there are small bits in which the pink bottom thread is visible in the top. Is the tension too high? I have an mc12000. At the moment it's quite literally driving me bananas?

ckcowl 05-05-2014 02:09 PM

I would not be using a topstitch needle- and, what size needle are you using? the size/type of the needle needs to go with the type/weight of thread you are using- there's a good chance your thread is breaking because the needle is not the right one for the thread. Visit Superior Threads and check out the free charts they have that tells you about the different threads, different needles and which you should use with what thread.

Sheilz 05-05-2014 02:13 PM

I'm using a 90/14 top stitch needle. If I remember correctly that is the One recommended but I will check. Thank you

Sheilz 05-05-2014 02:17 PM

O dear I just checked and for the 60 its a different sized needle. Oops!

PaperPrincess 05-05-2014 02:50 PM

If you are seeing bobbin thread on the top, I would try loosening the top tension just a bit.

MartiMorga 05-05-2014 02:52 PM

but you can also have a bit of a tension problem, you may want to lesson it and see how it works, or tighten it (but that doesn't sound right since you can see the bottom thread). Hopefully you do not have a burr on your needle plate, if so, try an emery board. I had the same problem - mine was a burr on my bobbin case, had to buy new one

Maureen NJ 05-05-2014 02:59 PM

What is the make of your machine? Have you done embroidery before with it being ok? If the bottom thread is showing on the top, it means either the bobbin tension is too high or the thread tension is too low. Easiest thing to adjust is the thread tension. Needle size is incorrect as you noted. I always use a titanium top stitch needle as recommended by and purchased from Superior Threads.

Onebyone 05-05-2014 03:38 PM

I use titanium coated topstitch needles for piecing and quilting. I have done free motion embroidery with the needles, no problem. I change to a different type needle and I get breakage and shredding a lot.

Peckish 05-05-2014 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6705377)
I would not be using a topstitch needle. Visit Superior Threads and check out the free charts they have that tells you about the different threads, different needles and which you should use with what thread.

Okay I'm curious... why do you say not to use a topstitch needle? That's actually what Bob from Superior Threads recommends. He explains that the topstitch needles have a larger hole and deeper scarf, which helps stop the thread from shredding from the friction as it moves in and out of the fabric.

Another thing to check is your thread. Which way is it wound on the spool or cone? This can also cause breakage, depending on your machine's setup. http://www.heirloomcreations.net/sew...tacked-thread/

Costaricaquilter 05-05-2014 05:24 PM

Just a quick reply-if the thread is being pulled to the top, the bobbin tension would be too loose--not too tight-- or the top tension too tight--not too loose.
As an embroider--on a commercial level now retired--I would never recommend a top stitch needle. A 75/11 needle is all that is needed for embroidery. If the design is running well it doesn't sound like you are pulling the quilt. In our machines we used a thinner thread on the bobbin as well. The underside of embroidery doesn't normally show. Hope this helps.
Wendy