Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother Pacesetter PC-8500(D) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-pacesetter-pc-8500-d-t200994.html)

Shana 09-20-2012 06:10 AM

Brother Pacesetter PC-8500(D)

Anyone have the 8500?? I just got mine home from the estate sale, but there are a couple of problems. #1 we were unable to find any cards or software to go with it, so I'm going to have to buy those, and we couldn't find any thread to go with it. I can't imagine buying a machine for $3000 and not having those things...perhaps they are still buried among all the other things. If it wasn't going to be used for embroidery I would think a better machine could be purchased for that price and use.

#2 I know NOTHING about the different weights of thread and needles! Does anyone know a good tutorial? I called my local distributor and they would be happy to give me 'lessions' at $75 an hour! I can't afford that at the moment lol

#3 Where to get threads...I looked on eBay and there seems to be a wide selection that all say they work with Brother machines...I guess I need to deal with #2 and #3 will solve it'self lol

#4 Cleaning the machine, again, anyone know of a good tutorial about how to do this? I would much rather do basic maintenence myself if I can.

MTS 09-20-2012 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Shana (Post 5527840)
#2 I know NOTHING about the different weights of thread and needles! Does anyone know a good tutorial? I called my local distributor and they would be happy to give me 'lessions' at $75 an hour!

And I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy to buy your thread and machine accessories and have it serviced elsewhere.

Sometimes I find it hard to sympathize with small business owners.
So short-sighted.

I don't do embroidery but I've found the Superior Threads' thread/needle guides and site info very helpful:
http://www.superiorthreads.com/reference-guides/

Connie in CO 09-20-2012 06:45 AM

Oh my,Embroidery cards are out of date and so hard to find.For the price you payed 3000?I would have shopped around for a trade in.I think you payed to much for your machine.Superiorthreads is a great place but over priced.There is a thread here on the board for machine embroidery,check it out they can answer your questions.Connie in CO

CoyoteQuilts 09-20-2012 07:09 AM

Sorry that the estate people thought they had more than they did. Most times they don't sell the 'extras' with the machines. Do you have the hoops?

You can use any type of thread in this machine. For regular sewing you use what ever you have ever used. Of course there will be some threads that 'fuzz' up the machine just like other machines. As far as embroidery any rayon or poly embroidery thread will work. Embroidery thread is usually shiny.... They promote the Brother brand in these machines, but I never found a difference between Sulky, YLI, Maderia, or any of the other brands in my machine (2002D, which is a newer version of the 8500). As far as maintenance, with an embroidery machine you will want to have it serviced at a certified service store. If you mess up the embroidery arm that needs to be re-calibrated. As far as just regular oiling and cleaning---these machines need to only be cleaned out real well. With the drop in bobbin you need to take the feed dog plate off and clean out that area often (between each project and if you think there is a problem). You can put a single drop of oil in one of the holes in the bottom of the plastic bobbin case, but don't over do it. That is all that I have ever done to my machine.

As far as the cards are concerned you will need a card reader with a blank card and a software that will load the designs onto the card from your machine. There are a lot of different software programs to do this. There are 2 types that I know of... the ones that you can digitize pictures/jpegs with and the ones that just take a certain design that resizes and puts it on the card. You need to google/bing to find sites that sell these things. I know there are several online stores that still supply these older machines.

Good luck and happy embroidering!

Deborahlees 09-20-2012 07:17 AM

Have owned and used two different Brother embroidery machines for over 15 years....I have used almost exclusively C&C embroidery thread. There are two different kinds, either Rayon or Polyester, Rayon has more shine, polyester will stand up to bleaching (excellent for baby and childrens clothes and stuff). Sulky makes a nice embroidery thread also, and is nice because it comes on small spools. You will need embroidery needles, I use Schmitz, available at both Joann and Walmart. Now you will need at some point in time software for your computer, but not right away.
How old is your machine, does it have a card slot and let us pray a USB port ?????? if it has a port you are golden and will not need cards. Did you get a dongle ????? Did you get hoops ???? you will need stabilizer, inexpensive and available at Joanns....I would love to help you more just PM me....

MTS 09-20-2012 08:28 AM

The way I read the op is that the original (departed) owner of the machine paid $3K, not Shana.

mermaid 09-20-2012 09:39 AM

I have ULT 2002 (updated to 03), and ULT 2003--but I helped my friend learn her 8500...the biggest difference is the screen. I also have the PE Design software & can digitize. She didn't want that--so I advised her to get the PE Design Basic which sells for about $100 (Walmart, AllBrands). Installed in your computer, you can download from the internet and then write to the blank card--it comes with a reader/writer box. You can resize designs up or down a small amt., see images of the designs.. but it is simple to use. Buying the designs on cards can get expensive and will pay for the 'Basic' shortly. Of course there's Magic Box which writes to a card, and one other I can't remember the name of. Your designs will be .pes format, so you need something compatible. Later when you fall in love with the process, you may want a later machine and more extensive software..but for now, one of these will fit your needs ---and there are free programs on line for changing formats, thread colors, many choices.

mermaid 09-20-2012 09:41 AM

OH, and there is an extensive embroidery "thread" here on the main board. You can learn much from the members who have embroiderymachines.

Dolphyngyrl 09-20-2012 10:29 AM

There are lots of yahoo groups, the consensus seems to be 75/11 embroidery sharp needles are the most common used excepts for knits where you want an embroidery ball point needle. You tube has a couple tutes but not many. Brothers take pes designs so you should be able to use those and connect to you computer. As for software I'm not sure you need any unless you are altering designs. If you use brother cards you will need a card reader which amazon sells for about 100 and it comes with very basic software. I just got mine and haven't had lessons yet so I'm not of much help

Dolphyngyrl 09-20-2012 10:31 AM

Also if you get the pe basic and have windows vista or 7 those that have the reader say to download from the website and not the disc and it will work better