Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother PQ 1500 for sewing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-pq-1500-sewing-t130214.html)

wannaquilt1 06-13-2011 11:50 AM

I am thinking of getting this machine for quilting because it has such a large throat space but I see it's a straight stitch machine. That's mainly what I use so it's no problem for me but does anyone use this as their main machine? I don't really have space for 2 so I am really looking to just have 1 machine. Will I wear it out if I'm using it for piecing too?

Sadiemae 06-13-2011 11:59 AM

I don't use mine on a frame, but piece with it all of the time. I also have a Pfaff that I use if I want special stitches. It is a great machine, and I like it because it is a workhorse.

jodimarie 06-13-2011 12:07 PM

This has been my GO TO machine for about 10 years now and I will tell you, she is the BEST workhorse of a sewing machine I have EVER had!!!! She will sew like a dream on cotton, flannel, fleece and the heavest of upholstrey fabric ( I make a lot of dog beds ) and she has never ONCE skipped a stitch on me. I also drop the feed dogs and have done quilts all the way from baby to super King size all FMQ without a stand/table.

Yes, I love love love my Brother 1500!!!!!

jodi

MzMcKee 06-13-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
This has been my GO TO machine for about 10 years now and I will tell you, she is the BEST workhorse of a sewing machine I have EVER had!!!! She will sew like a dream on cotton, flannel, fleece and the heavest of upholstrey fabric ( I make a lot of dog beds ) and she has never ONCE skipped a stitch on me. I also drop the feed dogs and have done quilts all the way from baby to super King size all FMQ without a stand/table.

Yes, I love love love my Brother 1500!!!!!

jodi

I couldn't have said it better myself! I love my PQ1500!

wannaquilt1 06-13-2011 12:16 PM

that's so good to hear! I have the cs-6000 right now and usually only do straight stitching so I figure even if this doesn't do everything else i probally wouldn't use it even if it did. so I will bid on one i see on ebay thanks so much!

jodimarie 06-13-2011 12:56 PM

I paid about 700.00 new for mine and I think the price has remained pretty steady over the years. If you have a good sewing machine dealer in your area, see if they have one taken in on a trade in.....since there isn't much to go ''wrong'' with this machine, a good servicing with warenty, will give you a like new machine for less dollars. You will love her/him to death!!
Oh yea, it comes with a pretty good quilting table too!!

jodi

WinSumLsSm 06-13-2011 01:02 PM

DITTO!!!

"Natasha" is amazing.. and trust me, I have other machines... but I really love her... She pieces amazingly.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 06-13-2011 02:43 PM

I use mine for piecing and quilting. I do have a little $100 Brother from Wal-mart that I started with. I kept it for applique stuff.

I love my PQ1500!!

lalaland 06-13-2011 02:58 PM

I use it for FMQ, it's a great machine, I would recommend it.

BellaBoo 06-13-2011 04:53 PM

I have this machine. I use it for piecing and FMQ. The only problem I had was the needle coming unthreaded when I used the auto thread cutter. I tried everything, even went to two different dealers to find the solution. They were no help at all, they didn't know why. One wanted to replace the thread cutter. A poster here told me to not use all the thread holes at the very top. Use only one. That solved the problem! I was using all three, putting too much tension on the thread that caused it to pull from the needle not the spool. I went back the dealer to tell her I found the solution and she acted like she didn't want to hear it, said it was an outdated model and she wasn't selling it anymore. Not enough profit for the room it took up in her shop. Dried up old biddy. She never got another penny of my money. Her shop went bankrupt, she was rude to the wrong customers and didn't have enough sense to know one guild member tells all the guild members.