Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BrotherVQ2400 or Bernina B740???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brothervq2400-bernina-b740-t271876.html)

rryder 11-04-2015 12:03 PM

BrotherVQ2400 or Bernina B740????

Hi all,
In my continuing quest for a machine with a larger throat space than what I've now got I've recently seen 2 machines that with some stretching could be in my budget. They are the Brother VQ2400 and the Bernina B740. If I want a machine with a dealer nearby then I'm really limited to Brother or Bernina. There is a Viking dealer in the local Joanne fabric store, but I've heard there are problems with getting maintenance/repairs done in a timely fashion since they get sent out of town.

Anyway, I've looked at the VQ2400 at the local Brother dealer and did a little FMQ with it, however it was mounted in their fabric frame, so I didn't get to test drive it out of the frame. If I get serious about it, then of course I'll do that since it's doubtful I could afford the machine and the fabric frame.

I've also test driven the B790 and the B740 at the local Bernina dealer. I tried the B790 with BSR but having spent a lot of years FMQ without BSR, I found that I didn't like it (the BSR that is) and I don't do embroidery and the B790 is well out of my budget, they didn't have a B770 in, so I decided to look at the B740 which I think I liked. However, I'm wondering if anyone here has used it for FMQ--I've read that some folks have problems with it bird nesting in the bobbin specifically when they quilt spirals.

I'm also wondering about durability on both the Brother VQ2400 and the Bernina B740 since they're relatively new machines. And, how well do they each handle the thickness when binding?

If anyone has any input on either of these machines, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
Rob

ClairVoyantQuilter 11-04-2015 05:28 PM

I have the BERNINA 780 (two years) and it's an absolute dream machine. The dual feed feet are perfect for piecing and the huge "M Class" bobbins, especially with thinner 50wt thread like Aurifil, lasts for hours before needing to be refilled. I sewed on several other manufacturers top of the line machines last week at the Houston International Quilt Festival in all day classes and can say, unequivocally, I was glad to return home to my BERNINA 780.

Dolphyngyrl 11-04-2015 10:31 PM

I have the VM6200D which has the same sewing features as the 2400. I have had my machine over 3 years with no issues. It handles thick layers beautifully. It is a very durable solid machine. It has truly been a dream for me to sew on. It also FMQ nicely. I like you have found that I don't care for the stitch regulator that I purchased for mine. I have sewn fleece, jersey knit, vinyl, and minky well with it. One of the features I love most is the muvit foot, which not sure if that feature cost extra on the 2400 as it comes standard on the 3000. I love how it FMQ and I love playing with ruler work on my machine as well. If you are interested I think the 3000 really is worth the extra price for the extra features as I find them extremely helpful. I think it runs 1k more but I think the muvit foot by itself cost close to 600 and I think that is one of the best features of the machine and really you are spending 400 extra for the laser and the pen. I think if you can try one of the other v-series models if they have any to try that are not on the frame it will give you an idea of the features as they all have the same features and platform as the 2400 but just with more extras. Bernina's are a different animal than brother you have to test drive to see what features you prefer. I have only ever used a 550QE before so not sure what the differences are on it and the 7 series models. I can say that I much prefer the v-series machines to the 550QE that I used. I am not going to get into why as it is a personal choice and everyones interests and opinions are different which is why test driving will make the difference. I feel that the 2 models are so different in function and feel you would just have to have a preference for one.

SuzieQuilts 11-05-2015 04:53 AM

Don't forget to factor in customer service. Which dealer do you feel will be there to help you learn your machine? When I was looking to up grade almost thirty years ago, it came down to a Phaff or a Bernina. There were features on both that I liked but I chose the Bernina because of a few unique features that I could see helping me be a better seamstress, and the customer service that I felt I would receive. I was right about the service, he is still in business and I have always made my Bernina purchases from him.

ManiacQuilter2 11-05-2015 06:35 AM

I am not much help but I have an older Bernina 1530 that I still love. I have never had the need for a wider throat but then I don't due any large quilts anymore.

rryder 11-05-2015 09:44 AM

Thanks so much for the info. everyone. I like both dealers for different reasons. My feeling is that the Bernina dealer knows more about their machines, and the owner is actually their technician as well. On the other hand, the Brother dealer readily honored the warranty on my current machine when it needed repair even though I told them I'd bought it from Amazon.com. Given that other folks who've bought machines on line have had problems with local dealers honoring warranties I have to say that my local Brother dealer's willingness to do so has generated a certain amount of customer loyalty on my part. I'm a bit hampered by my budget as well, so am having to think about who is more willing to deal and which company has special programs like interest free financing, etc, in which case the Bernina dealership actually comes out a little ahead. I have always used Brother machines, (except for my Singer 221) and been happy with them, but these days their machines which have the larger throat space are actually running a little more expensive than the Bernina B740. I really think I couldn't go wrong with either machine unless there is some issue that I don't know about with repairs, or some quirk about either one that quilters don't care for.

Rob