Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Building a New house w/ studio All Ideas welcome (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/building-new-house-w-studio-all-ideas-welcome-t206485.html)

katesnanna 11-22-2012 05:27 AM

Do a search here on QB. Organization Sewing rooms. You'll see lots of great ideas.

Vat 11-22-2012 05:35 AM

Use tile on the floor , not carpet. When you drop pins you may hear them hit the floor, whereas with carpet you want hear them. Peg is wonderful for hanging stuff. Rulers, extra things that will hang from a hook like in the stores, patterns, extra rotary blades etc. etc. etc.

mhollifiel 11-22-2012 06:03 AM

It sounds basic but you should make sure you think about your work triangle like they do in kitchens to save steps while you work. In the kitchen it's cook top to sink to fridge. I'd say in the sewing studio, it's sewing area to cutting area to ironing area. The smaller this triangle is, the better and more efficient. Also, I'd suggest adjustable tract lighting over the design wall if possible. I have that in the mountain house and it's wonderful. Also, if your windows face any direction except north, you'll want to consider putting a glare reducing film like 3M on them. This will reduce eye strain from all that direct sunlight especially if you have lots of windows. This will also protect fabric as well.

Quilter Day-by-Day 11-22-2012 06:54 AM

lots and lots of cabinets and shelving,lighting,ceiling fan.

Tothill 11-22-2012 07:28 AM

Lots of great tips so far.

One I have not seen yet, relates to internet and telephone cabling. Make sure the best cabling is used and get multiple outlets, so you have the option of rearranging your space.

Some one else mentioned a sound system. Get it hard wired in place.

We have a couple light tubes in our house. They supply an incredible amount of light without glare.

I would hesitate to put a skylight in a closet, you will get fabric fading.

Plan your heating, cooling and humidity controls well.

Your view sounds incredible. I would have a wall of windows too to enjoy it.

Every time I rearrange a room in my house I use graph paper and make little cutouts of the various pieces of furniture I need to place. I switch things around several times with the paper, before putting my back into moving things for real. You could do that and then mark with needs to be in place for each machine, lighting, outlets, chairs etc.

grannyp70 11-22-2012 08:01 AM

I would love to have a lot of nice cabinets for my stash and a really nice cutting table with storage underneath. Hope you get everything that you like in your new sewing room. Please post pictures of your new room when you get it finished.

GrannieAnnie 11-22-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 5671795)
You are talking about a centre ceiling light why have everything looking at a wall. You sit by the wall and work with frame etc i front that way light from above will shine on work. Don't forget an area to store boxes with scraps ini would have a large centre cutting board and make a large ironing area which would be very useful for quilt back.what kind os seats? A quiet corner by window to hand stitch.

Personally, I'd keep as much work space away from the wall as I could so you have access from all sides, and keep the walls for storage.

one-and-only 11-22-2012 06:08 PM

I suggest that when you have the wiring done, make sure the electrician wires the outlets to a switch. When entering or leaving the room with the flick of that switch you know your lights are off and so is your Iron. I don't know how many times I have went off and left the iron on. I had that problem fixed just this week and am so glad that worry about leaving my iron on is no longer an issue.

QuiltNama 11-23-2012 08:11 AM

I have wood floor in my room and love it, very quilter friendly. Lots of drawers for small items and a bar suspended over the quilting machine, from the ceiling for your roll of quilt batting.

nstitches4u 11-23-2012 05:45 PM

It sounds like you have a wonderful sewing studio planned. The idea of power outlets in the ceiling is a good one. Not so many cords to rip over. I love the skylight in the closet idea. Your view from the glass front of the room sounds like heaven. I went from having a carpeted sewing studio to hardwood floors and I love them. No more pulling pins out of the carpet. Please post pictures when it is completed.