Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Building up a stash from nothing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/building-up-stash-nothing-t103436.html)

Maybe1day 02-28-2011 04:20 PM

I had been buying a metre here and there and the occasional FQ (but consider these to be an expensive way to buy fabric really) but in recent months I decided this was not the way to go for me personally as I may not be able to match up what I have in stash for something I would like to make so have now started buying with a project a mind. Buy the amount of fabric needed or thought to be needed and put it altogether with a note saying what I have in mind for the fabric and where the pattern is kept (if I intend using a pattern)Using this method I also buy about 1/4 to 1/2 metre more than I need of the fabric for those just in case moments. Am sure to build up my stash this way. Seems to be working for me.

Maybe1day

Nettie Phillips 02-28-2011 05:14 PM

Start by looking for sales, yard sales, thrift stores, etc.
I buy what hits me at the time I am looking at it. If it is
something that I really like I get a 1 or 2 yards. I have fat
quarters, pkgs of precut squares, different sizes.

christinetindell 02-28-2011 05:19 PM

I rarely bought fabric "just because I like it", but always for a specific project. Then a year ago I inherited a stash and now people give me fabric all of the time!! Now I have a huge stash!! Someone told me that if you like it, buy a yard, love it, 1 1/2, can't live without it, 3 yards. YOu will find that if you just buy fat quarters, you will find that you may not find it again if you want more than that.

bubblegum1286 02-28-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by christinetindell
Someone told me that if you like it, buy a yard, love it, 1 1/2, can't live without it, 3 yards.

Haha I have a beginner's book written by Carol Doak where she says something along those very same lines. It's great advise!

JackieG 02-28-2011 05:20 PM

My problem is that if it's on sale, and I mean getting nice quilt quality fabric for $3 or $4 a yard, then I buy what's left on the bolt and usually get 2 or 3 yards. I have a pretty substantial stash of stuff along with scraps from other jobs.

donnalynett 02-28-2011 05:39 PM

My story is you can never have enough fabric and I'm sticking to it!

madamekelly 02-28-2011 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by winterpromise31
Why a stash? Hmm... I guess because I've already experienced finding a fabric I like and then having it discontinued. Plus, since hubby offered... I don't mind buying fabric as I go, but sometimes there are great sales and I'm tempted to buy at the sale prices. Last weekend was a holiday sale and I bought a quilting book for 50% off but no fabric because I wasn't sure how much. If I buy it as needed, I'm missing out on the sale prices and I am kind of thrifty by nature.

Sorry for the long response. Just thinking aloud here. Thanks for the suggestions!

I can't go buy a beep-load of fabric, so I usually buy an extra half yard of everything I buy. If I find something that calls my name, I will buy up to 10 yards, depending on price.
Example- I found a dark tonal burgundy for $1 per yard, I know I will use a lot of it, so I bought 10 yards. It has gone into 4 quilts already, and I still have over five yards left. I also hunt at garage sales, rummage sales, etc. (Before you do this, make sure you can 'feel' the cotton content, and do a burn test before using.)

Rose Bagwell 02-28-2011 06:09 PM

I always buy at least 3 yds of the same fabric. Try to build your stash with colors you like or would like to use in a quilt. You could look at quilt books and get an idea of home much is needed according to size.

jitkaau 02-28-2011 06:11 PM

If you keep buying as needed, you will soon have a stash from the left overs...and then you could add something to it...and then that would look nice with that...and then...

Taughtby Grandma 02-28-2011 06:11 PM

I go strolling through the fabric and if I find a bolt with just a little bit left on it and I like it I buy it. If you are recognized as a frequent shopper ( store name coupons or they just see you there drooling often :lol: ) they will measure it and you get the fabric that is more than a yard for 1/2 price because it is the end of bolt. Sometimes the quilt shops will have an "end of bolt" sale and you can get it for around 1/2 price if you take whatever is left on the bolt. I still make sure I like it, then when I rediscover it in my stash I'm like a kid in a candy store and my quilting imagination can't wait to work it into a pattern.