Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is a built in thread cutter worth it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/built-thread-cutter-worth-t303719.html)

Obstinate_grl76 03-21-2019 05:39 AM

Is a built in thread cutter worth it?

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, I've been sewing off and on for years, mostly easy clothes and home projects. My old white machine needs to be replaced, and I've decided to go with a Janome. I'd like to start some quilting, and tried out the 3160 in the shop. That has the thread cutter which I kinda fell in love with. The problem is do I really need it?? (The other machine I'm looking at is the jw8100) I don't want to spend over $400 to get a super convenient, but not exactly necessary feature. I guess the question is, how much would I use it quilting vs general sewing? I don't want to get a machine, get hooked on quilting and kick myself for not getting that feature. On the other hand, if I end up primarily quilting, wouldn't that be an excellent reason for a new machine? Help!!

DebraK 03-21-2019 06:15 AM

Short answer for me is, yes, but even more important is the needle threader ;-)

Sheri.a 03-21-2019 06:19 AM

My first machine with a thread cutter was a 3160 and I absolutely love it. I have since upgraded, but let me tell you that not only is the thread cutter a good thing, but also the needle up/down on the 3160. Love the convenience, but having your threads cut as you go saves time in trimming long strings when you are cleaning up the back of a quilt (especially if you are using a white fabric in the quilt). The needle up/down keeps your fabric in place as you pivot. Other really nice things are that the Janome motor is quieter than many other brands and that there is a speed control.

I have since upgraded to another Janome with a larger throat space, but I still love the 3160. I use it for classes and group quilting.

Tartan 03-21-2019 06:20 AM

​I have one and have never used it. I do love my needle threader though.

indycat32 03-21-2019 06:28 AM

Definitely worth it. I love my thread cutter, especially when paper piecing.

maryb119 03-21-2019 06:36 AM

I like my thread cutter. Love the needle threader too.

Ariannaquilts 03-21-2019 06:48 AM

Definitely love my needle threader but I barely use the thread cutter. Welcome to the board!

osewme 03-21-2019 06:49 AM

Welcome from Texas! I don't have a thread cutter on my Janome Magnolia 7330 but I do have a needle up/down feature which I love. I think a thread cutter would be a great asset to have. Just think of all the time you save by not having to cut all those threads on quilts that you make plus think of all the thread you will save by not having to cut off long pieces when you have to hand cut them. Good luck in making your machine choice.

SusieQOH 03-21-2019 06:58 AM

I have machines with and without. My newest, a Juki, I bought for machine quilting. It has a thread cutter and I like it.
The learning curve for me was that one way to use it is in the foot pedal and in the beginning I was accidentally cutting threads when I didn't mean to. Once I got used to the pedal it was fine.
Welcome to the board.

quiltsRfun 03-21-2019 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts (Post 8228631)
Definitely love my needle threader but I barely use the thread cutter. Welcome to the board!

Same here.