Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bummed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bummed-t253441.html)

crafty-kid 09-11-2014 02:10 PM

Bummed

I am bummed...need to have my machine looked at because that auto cutter isn't working right. I wonder how long I will be without it? They pick up machines at the shop on Friday and Tuesdays...I hope it's back by next Friday, but won't hold my breath!

cathyvv 09-11-2014 02:26 PM

I feel your pain! I would miss my auto-cutter a lot, though, so would probably do what you're doing. Of course, I do have a back up machine or two - but they don't have the auto-cut feature!

Sewnoma 09-11-2014 02:34 PM

OH man! That's a big bummer. I am seriously hooked on my auto-cut button. So much so that I made SURE my backup/travel machine had that feature, even though that meant spending almost double what I originally intended to spend.

Funny to think about how addicted we get to these conveniences. I love my needle up/down button, my scissor cut button, my default needle position... The machine I learned on was from 1954 and was my gran's "modern" machine, she called it that because it had levers & dials to set it for zig-zag and decorative stitches instead of using cams like the other one.

ckcowl 09-11-2014 03:08 PM

That is why it is always good to have a back up machine.

Jeanne S 09-11-2014 03:21 PM

I know how you feel. I am due to take mine in for annual cleaning/maintenance and am really dreading it!!! I have a trip to Romania coming up in October and think I may wait to take it in until just before I leave, and maybe it will be done when I get back!

barking-rabbit 09-11-2014 07:03 PM

My auto cutter didn't work as well after the check up.

slbram17 09-11-2014 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by crafty-kid (Post 6884410)
I am bummed...need to have my machine looked at because that auto cutter isn't working right. I wonder how long I will be without it? They pick up machines at the shop on Friday and Tuesdays...I hope it's back by next Friday, but won't hold my breath!

Consider purchase of a backup machine, even if it is an older used machine. It can keep you sewing while the primary machine is being maintained/serviced.

Cactus Stitchin 09-11-2014 08:42 PM

I share your pain! I nearly went crazy while mine was worked on a couple months ago. I live in Arizona and quickly learned that I need to have it serviced in summer - before the Snow Birds arrive as it takes much, much longer when they are here. Many bring their machines here especially to be serviced at one particular shop and the turn around is nearly a month. Summers - it's more like a week!!!

Geri B 09-12-2014 04:14 AM

I guess I am in the minority, but, I have the auto cutter, but prefer to do leaders&enders...thus getting two for one!

Onebyone 09-12-2014 04:26 AM

I changed the auto cutter blade part myself on my Brother. It was easy. Two little screws is all that's holding it. I think I paid $8 for the new cutter a dealer ordered for me. I have the Brother 1500. If it had been the cutter clutch the part would cost me about $32 plus labor.