Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Business Idea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/business-idea-t182441.html)

kimbrennan 03-12-2012 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5050818)
How many small communities are within a 2-3 hour drive that have no LQS? Do you have a truck, van, SUV? Have you tried selling at craft fairs or flea markets to see if you like that venue? What will you do for personal security? What are the arrangements from wholesalers? Will someone be available to help with set-up and and take-down? What $ investment is needed to start? Where will it come from? How long can you carry the business before you need to show a profit? Are you thinking you are providing a service or going to primarily be in a business for profit? What type advertisements are you going to use and what are their costs? Lots to think about.

yep what Tanya said.....LOTS TO THINK ABOUT!!!

subyz 03-12-2012 04:17 AM

Schoolbus quilts

A gal in South Carolina had a school bus and did just what you said. It had to be 15 or so years ago. I just searched on the internet and didn't find her, but it was a good while ago. There are still lots of people who don't use the internet yet but I would think it would be a bog competitor. I can see you parking at quilt guild meetings, quilting retreats and workshops, farmer's markets, etc.Sounds like fun!

ghquilter53 03-12-2012 04:57 AM

There used to be the Quilt Bus. I had it scheduled to visit our guild but it broke down. They were trying to decide whether to fix it or buy a new one. Never heard. This was about 6 or 7 years ago.

sguillot 03-12-2012 04:59 AM

I think it's a great idea. It would be the very thing in rural areas. Good luck let us know if you start one and how it's going.

Originally Posted by lasews (Post 5050750)
I've been kicking around an idea for about a year now, and decided it was time to discuss it with other quilters. I live in rural Illinois, and like many of you, have limited local shops for purchasing fabric. The ones that are available are often 30+ minutes away. Not a big deal except that I work full time so it's not always convenient to go running around after fabric.

I've been thinking of starting a Fabric Truck where I would take the fabric to small towns around me. I could sit on the town square or in large parking lots, and open my truck up as a storefront. I would also be available to travel to quilt guild meetings if anyone was interested in that.

What do you all think? Only honest opinions please. It would be mainly Saturdays or by appointment.

Thanks for your input.

beckalou 03-12-2012 04:59 AM

There were a few ladies, I believe in Iowa, that had converted an old school bus into a quilt shop. They would take it to different spots & set up shop for a few hours. One of the quilt magazines featured them in a story several years ago. I will see if I still have the mag.

QuiltingCrazie 03-12-2012 05:10 AM

I'm a business major and I will tell you for a business to turn a profit is hard in general. Doable, what your wanting to do is great. I will caution you when you run your numbers make sure you read up on tax law. Vehicles are so tricky when involve them in a business plan unless you buy a vehicle just for your business. Honestly I would take others advise and on a Saturday I would invest in some bolts or just fat quarters and open a booth locally or ask permission at a church to set up after service if allowed. See what your market is and you have to get the local flavor. Is it country, modern, loud, bright, pastels, solids, prints or scrappy fabric that's the top seller.

Good luck and I hope you achieve all your goals, it can be done!!

beckalou 03-12-2012 05:12 AM

I found the magazine, it is Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting May/June 2006. The ladies who operate it are Gay Murphy & Kris Kelderman. They had scheduled stops and would also take their bus to quilt shows, etc. The article may still be available on line @ www.fonsandporter.com.

maryfrang 03-12-2012 05:23 AM

With the price of gas, to maintain the truck, your insurance etc., would have to be looked at for the your overhead costs. Besides tying up weekends selling fabric? Your time is worth money too. What about looking at a small store in your garage, or the internet. Remember when you sell in towns, you have to follow their rules and collect taxes, and when your in the county they have there too. So much to think about. Good luck.

KR 03-12-2012 05:24 AM

There is a "shop" in our area that operates out of one of the owners' garage on a day-to-day basis but they rent a vendor space at quilt all shows within driving distance. At their booth they mostly have pre-cuts and notions....all easily transportable and appealingly displayed.

Another one that has an old trolley car. They take their mobile store to quilt shows.....don't know if their vendor fee is the same or not but they just park outside the entrance to the show. Too claustrophobic inside for me with bolts piled to the ceiling and all that lint and sizing in a small space plays havoc with my hay fever. But they are a retired couple and it works for them.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

CarrieC 03-12-2012 05:25 AM

I had to chime in. I bet your local community has an SBA office (Small Business Assoc). Usually the SBA has mentors etc. for FREE that can help you develop a business plan, costing etc. They can help you get through the requirements like (and I'm just listing a few I can come up with) insurance, taxes etc. They might be a great asset to you as you think about this endeavour!