Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying bolt of fabric for backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-bolt-fabric-backing-t258752.html)

FroggyinTexas 12-26-2014 07:23 PM

I love wide best quality muslin, both the bleached and unbleached varieties. They may seem dull, but quilting designs really show up on them and they don't detract from the quilt top. froggyintexas

Annaquilts 12-26-2014 07:24 PM

I buy bolt ends out of the sales room based on themes like something that would go with civil War, Asian, 1930s, home decor or kids quilts etc. I also like yellow and sky blue.

quiltstringz 12-26-2014 08:05 PM

I will when there is a good sale stock up. I normally go for colors that appeal to me since there is a good chance I will be making a quilt with them Normally the good sales don't really include a lot of neutrals, of course right now I have a shelf unit full of backings - at least yds up to 11/12. Another thing that works well is if you find one you really like and they have enough yardage, get enough for you back and the border. That way it will match perfectly, then you can pull those colors from your stash for piecing

GingerK 12-26-2014 08:10 PM

Profannie, check out backsidefabrics.com They have very good prices. I love that I can get samples for free. That has made a tremendous difference in a couple of orders for me.

I don't know if you have a Lens Mill outlet in Quebec. Their selection is constantly changing but I have found some decent prices there.

Lori S 12-27-2014 05:13 AM

I am a fan of having a bolt of top quality muslin in my stash. I use it for backings and the scraps/trimmings are great for using in other quilt tops.

kathy 12-27-2014 05:17 AM

when Connecting Threads put things on sale, 3-4 dollars a yard! I'm not real picky, I buy 6yd pieces for backs, in a medium tone and try to get something with little design.

HillCountryGal 12-27-2014 05:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I'll never live long enough to use all my stash. Therefore, occasionally, I'll just use various fabrics that compliments the quilt front and piece it together. Makes for a fun and interesting backing. I do realize this takes a bit more work and time.... but.

front..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503805[/ATTACH]

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503806[/ATTACH]

front..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503807[/ATTACH]

back..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503808[/ATTACH]

Shelbie 12-27-2014 05:57 AM

You really need to know the kind of quilting you do before investing in backings. Tone on tone white or cream would be an excellent background fabric for me but I've never used either of those for a backing. When I look at every quilt that I've made, I can see that my backings are greens, blues, gray/blacks, tans or purples. I have always used wide backings, sheets or pieced backings so regular yardage for me for backings probably wouldn't work. Several years ago, I did invest in some large pieces at a $2 a metre tent sale and have never used even one of them as a backing. I have used them in all kinds of youth and Community quilts but not for their original purpose. For me, I know that bolts of wide backing in green, blue and gray would definitely be used here.

Aurora 12-27-2014 06:21 AM

I never consider the back until I finish the front. I barely have room for my stash, sewing machine and me in my sewing room.

elly66 12-27-2014 06:37 AM

As others have mentioned. I have started buying whites and creams fabrics and good quality muslin for my backings. However I also then dye the fabric in colors that compliment the front. I use the ice cube method to dye them which gives them a marble or tie dye appearance that I really like. However I have just dyed the fabric a similar solid color as well (a quilt top with lots of blues I would probably dye the backing blue etc.)