Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying a downloadable pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-downloadable-pattern-t283866.html)

Chester the bunny 11-18-2016 05:55 PM

Buying a downloadable pattern

I have never bought a pattern that you have to download and I'm not sure how the process works. Does it come as an attachment that you save to the computer, open and print? Can I then send the file to a photocopy place to get it printed? How does the seller control how many people one could send a pattern to? It would seem to me that a PDF would make it a lot easier for a pattern to be shared as opposed to making actual copies which is not allowed. Are there restrictions with a PDF?

NJ Quilter 11-18-2016 06:31 PM

In reality, I suppose you are correct in that there is no control over how often the downloaded pattern is opened. Then again, if it's very sophisticated software - like today's word processing programs for example, x times opened and you are done.

I would download to my computer for safety's sake. You could then save to a thumb drive, etc. to take to a copy place. Beyond that would be up to you.

Just my opinion.

Sync 11-18-2016 06:51 PM

I have downloaded patterns. It is something that you save on your computer and can open as a pdf. Now if this is a pattern from Craftsy that pattern stays in your account and you have to access/print it from there. As far as restrictions ..... some designers do limit how many times the pattern can be open but I have not had that on any of the patterns I have downloaded.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 11-18-2016 07:37 PM

The last pattern that I downloaded included a line at the bottom that stated that this pattern was for (my name) exclusive use. First time I ever ran across this. This is always how I have treated patterns, but the first time I've come across this particular statement included right on the printout. It downloaded in a PDF.

QuiltE 11-18-2016 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sync (Post 7702031)
.........Now if this is a pattern from Craftsy that pattern stays in your account and you have to access/print it from there.............

Agree ... you can go back to your patterns on Craftsy at any time.
However, that is Not the only way to access them!!

I have always been able to download my Craftsy patterns to my own system.
Then I print them when I want to, immediately, or a long time after.
I just let the Craftsy "save" be my backup system, in case I lose it or forget how I have it labelled.

Onebyone 11-19-2016 06:18 AM

I download to my computer and print out a copy to work with and one to save in a binder. I always make a copy of any pattern to use while I make it.

PaperPrincess 11-19-2016 07:10 AM

As far as the pattern being shared with non-purchasers, the author just has faith that most quilters/crafters are honest. The (hopefully) few sales lost to cheaters is more than offset by the author not having to print, package and distribute a paper pattern, along with having to share profits with the publisher and/or distributor!

joyce888 11-19-2016 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7702085)
Agree ... you can go back to your patterns on Craftsy at any time.
However, that is NOT the only way to access them!!

I have always been able to download my Craftsy patterns to my own system.
Then I print them when I want to, immediately, or a long time after.
I just let the Craftsy "save" be my backup system, in case I lose it or forget how I have it labelled.

I've purchased many Craftsy patterns and have always left them in my Craftsy account. Good idea about adding them to my computer.

tallchick 11-19-2016 07:32 AM

Most patterns I purchase online are PDF's that have a limit on how many times they may be downloaded. I save them as PDF's to my iBooks app for my iPad and I also print them out, laminate them and put them in a binder that is arranged alphabetically. There is nothing that anyone can do to prevent someone from copying and giving the pattern away, however I believe that more people than not have the moral capacity to not do so.

QuiltE 11-19-2016 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 7702239)
I've purchased many Craftsy patterns and have always left them in my Craftsy account. Good idea about adding them to my computer.

Some people had a lot of problems with Craftsy recently in accessing their files.
So another good reason to download ... and not risk losing them at some point.