Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   buying fabirc (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabirc-t81123.html)

carolaug 12-06-2010 08:19 PM

I have found I buy why too much....I am cutting back to a yard...unless I know I will use that fabric over and over...I end up with way to much left over. I also am trying to buy per project and get what the pattern calls for. I hate that I have as much fabric as I do...and of course I always need another color...

sueisallaboutquilts 12-06-2010 08:38 PM

I'm with the others on this. If I go crazy over a fabric I will buy several yards and it really does depend on the fabric so I guess I'm not much help either lol

maine ladybug 12-06-2010 08:57 PM

Boy, if I had a yard of fabric for every time I've heard that one!!
I think it depends on how much you like it, what you can afford and the chances you might see it again. Good luck!

sherriequilts 12-06-2010 09:10 PM

I am funny about borders--I don't like to piece them! So that means I have to buy at least the length of the desired quilt plus some extra! Then, too, I sometimes match the pattern in my backings and that means more than twice the length of the quilt allowing for repeat etc. I guess I just like giving my $ to the LQS. They should really love me!

luvTooQuilt 12-06-2010 09:37 PM

If I like it buy a yard, if I love it buy 3 yards, and if I can't live without it, buy it all!! Thank god there's not too many I can't live with out!!!!

:D

quilting cat 12-06-2010 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
As much as you can afford!

I rarely "splurge" (pay full price) for more than 1/2 yard. If it's on sale, 3 yards or "How much is left?" :lol:
A store that is moving is offering an extra 15% off for taking all that is left on the bolt, so that is what I've been getting of each.

lisalovesquilting 12-07-2010 01:07 AM

If you end up with a lot left over you can always use it in a pieced backing.

quilterella 12-07-2010 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by sustraley
so since I am a newbie, I have a question regarding buying fabric. If you see a fabric you like, how do you figure out how much to buy?

I buy a minimum of 3 yrds, a bolt if I really, really like it and I can afford it at the time, but never less than 3 yds. Just remember, if you really like...guaranteed it won't be there when you go back for that 1/2 yd you need...law of averages LOL!

hheelleenn 12-07-2010 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
it just depends on if there is a project you have in mind. if not and you really have to have the fabric then what I do is get two yards. most get either 2 or 3 yards. on fabric they like that is not planned for a project at the time of purchase. if you are wanting to use it for a specific project it just depends on how much you need. I would recommend getting at least 1/2 yard extra of that fabric just in case you make a boo boo cutting. but that is just me.

That's what I do !

Shelbie 12-07-2010 04:26 AM

The biggest mistake I made in buying fabric, was buying too many great focus prints and not nearly enough of the quieter, more boring (think tone on tones, small nondescript prints or marbles) that I needed to co-ordinate with my wonderful prints. I also did not buy nearly enough lights as I didn't realize how important those would be. I needed to be more experienced to realize that you just couldn't mix all those great intense fabrics in one quilt without having the other. Now the most of a great print that I would buy is 2 or 3 metres if I'm making a large quilt. If I find great sales on the boring ones, I'd buy 4 or 5 metres of a great colour that I know will co-ordinate with much of the stuff I have.