Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabric, I am soooo confused. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabric-i-am-soooo-confused-t110129.html)

cheri62 03-23-2011 02:37 PM

I am very new at quilting, I am trying to buy my fabric for a small quilt or a table runner I have been looking on the internet and am wondering which way is the best way to buy fabric. Should I buy fabric by the yard, fat quarters, charm packs or jelly rolls. I just need some advice and all of you on this board are so nice and helpful.

rusty quilter 03-23-2011 02:39 PM

It depends. The fat quarters, etc. are actually more expensive than buying by the yard. Let the pattern you want to make dictate how you buy.

susanwilley 03-23-2011 02:41 PM

I wouldn't recommend fat quarters unless you are sure you will buy all that you need or will be able to get the same fabric to finish your project. I made that mistake with my first quilt, it is a king size and I bought all I could at the same Walmart and then had to visit every other Walmart I could find in Maryland to get enough to finish. I did manage to get what I needed but I won't make that mistake again. Welcome to the board Cheri62 you will love it here and good luck with your project.

BETTY62 03-23-2011 02:42 PM

A big welcome from East Texas.

lynnsim 03-23-2011 02:53 PM

If you don't have any fabric yet, I suggest you decide on a pattern. Then buy the fabric. I believe yardage is the way to go. When I just buy fabric, not knowing what I'm going to do with it, I buy at least one yard. Of course, I love scrappy, so I always have enough, lol.

luvTooQuilt 03-23-2011 02:53 PM

IMHO it really depends on what you wanna do.. If its scrappy then yes, a bunch of Fqs will work if you are sticking to a pattern buy a lil more then what it suggests for error...

eparys 03-23-2011 03:00 PM

When I started, I bought only yardage.

I would suggest you purchase fabric (yardage)for a pattern/project the first few you do. That way you have what you need for each project. Once you get going and have a favorite color palette or block you might gravitate towards purchasing some Fat Quarters.

suern3 03-23-2011 03:00 PM

Being new to quilting also, I find it easiest to first find a pattern I like and then buy the fabric according to the instructions. I often try to find the pictured fabric because I'm not real confident with color choices either. I much prefer to buy yardage rather than precuts inless they are called for by a pattern. They seem a waste of money to me and I don't mind having left overs for another project.

Jill 03-23-2011 03:03 PM

When I first started quilting I bought mostly yardage with a few fat quarters. I bought a good supply of fat quarters on Ebay a little later while still buying yardage at my LQS and online. I finally settled into making scrappy quilts. I know what colors I like and when I see something I like I buy at least two yards. If you have extra yardage you can always start to fill your scrap box or if you have enough left over from a project just put it back into your stash. Have fun!

MissSandra 03-23-2011 03:06 PM

Greetings, I buy yardage from a quilt shop and if i'm unsure of things I take the pattern with me there often great help, also because I make my share of errors I always ask because fabric changes often what fabric do they keep in stock. Nothings worse than finding I don't have enough due to my errors.
Sandra