Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabric online (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabric-online-t128167.html)

Carrie Jo 06-05-2011 05:36 AM

Why do I have such a hard time buying fabric online? I see some great deals but just can not bring myself to do it. I want to see and feel my purchases. I want to see just how bright or soft .. I just cant do it. how am I going to get over this? so I can take advantage of some of the great deals?

Jennifer22206 06-05-2011 05:42 AM

Simple. :) Grab your CC, and just hop on a site. I'd love to tell you to go to Connecting Threads, Fabric.com, Keepsake Quilting or CraftConn. I've had great luck at all of those sites.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 06-05-2011 05:42 AM

I finally did it when I could not find what I wanted anywhere around here. I ordered the exact fabric the board told me to and loved it. Now, I feel much more comfortable ordering online although I would rather see it first. I just don't have enough fabric stores around to make that possible.

erstan947 06-05-2011 05:45 AM

You might try first ordering a "Brand name" fabric. One that you already know the quality. I really like Fabric.com. a $35 order gets you free shipping. I love to check out the sales and I always order the grab bag of fabrics. It is a good buy and always a surprise:)

MrsM 06-05-2011 05:46 AM

The closest fabric shop to me is an hour away, so I do 99% of my shopping on line. I have been doing this for over ten years. A few times the color on the screen didn't match the fabric I received but I still used it in a project, maybe not the one it was intended for. I find it so hard to resist buying on line now. There are so many great shops and sales out there. So you might not want to start. :wink:

MelodyWB 06-05-2011 05:48 AM

I just found 2 I loved to deal with and went for it..I started because I couldn't find what I needed..then it was easier..lol..you'll be ok !!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-05-2011 05:55 AM

I'm not sure. I have no problem ordering online but I have a friend who can't b/c she wants to feel the fabric also.
I've had good luck with online shopping especially b/c I buy brands I like, but that's just my experience.
I love buying it in person too lol

mamaw 06-05-2011 06:01 AM

I have done it many times with great results. You must learn your brands, then it will all work out for you. There are many wonderful lines out there to chose from, more than you will ever see together in any one shop.

Judi in Ohio 06-05-2011 06:20 AM

Pick one of the recommended sites, order a few fabrics and wait til you get them. You'll get over your reluctance when you see them. I'm a scrappy gal so all fabrics work for me.
Judi

Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
Why do I have such a hard time buying fabric online? I see some great deals but just can not bring myself to do it. I want to see and feel my purchases. I want to see just how bright or soft .. I just cant do it. how am I going to get over this? so I can take advantage of some of the great deals?

emerald46 06-05-2011 06:31 AM

You can touchy feel the fabric once it arrives in the mail. I've had nothing but good luck ordering online. I agree if you are uncertain go with name brands on first order.