Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabric by the pound (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabric-pound-t64163.html)

skothing 09-11-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
I've been looking at some great deals on fabric by the pound. A few different sites have some great prices like this.

Has anyone bought fabric by the pound? How much fabric is usually in a pound? Do they actually weigh out a pound on scales?

Yes I have often. Normally it is 5 dollars a pound. It all depends on the maker and what type of fabric you r buying. For the FWSQ I am using the connecting threads I bought at the warehouse sale. It was 5 per lb. Not a bad deal, all in all. I picked my own fabric out and didn't take just any that they had. I am very picky and don't want to pay for a lot of salvage that can't be used.

Quiltforme 09-11-2010 01:59 PM

I have bought by the pound from Equilters. I love that it is an assortment of good quality fabric remnents so to say. 1/4 yard and up. I have upped my stash I believe it is approx 10 yards onsale for 20$ i have purchased 3 times from her and have never had a bad piece.

littlehud 09-11-2010 03:01 PM

I'm picturing myself at the fabric store saying I'll take a pound of that floral please. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CarrieAnne 09-11-2010 05:25 PM

LOL! Me too!

twinstitchin 09-12-2010 12:42 AM

We have a store called Fabrics by the Pound. You get about 3 1/2 to 4 yards of quilt weight,if it is curtain weight you get a little less than 3 yards but most are at least 54" on the curtain weight. I use these when I need a backing fabric. Our stores are located in Foley,Al. and Mobile,Al.

quiltergirl80 09-12-2010 01:29 AM

There is a store here that sells "remnants" by the pound. They buy end scraps from benartex. You can find all different sizes and cuts, along with samples from classes, etc. It's fun to dig and fine treasures. All knowing it is good quality fabric that I'm getting at a discount.

plainpat 09-12-2010 02:48 AM

What is shipping for a pd of fabric.If 3 yds will fit in a USPS envelope, should it be around $5 shipping? Just wondering

Originally Posted by stefanib123
I've been looking at some great deals on fabric by the pound. A few different sites have some great prices like this.

Has anyone bought fabric by the pound? How much fabric is usually in a pound? Do they actually weigh out a pound on scales?

raptureready 09-12-2010 11:44 AM

I've usually gotten around 4 yds per lb. I was at Marshall Dry Goods in Batesville Arkansas last year and after purchasing fabric in their regular warehouse the clerk told me that if I wanted to go across the parking lot to the warehouse with the round red sign on the door that it had a lot of seconds in it. She said that if you take the whole piece without them having to cut it that it was $1 per pound. I got a little less than 4 yds per lb because I stupidly left it on the cardboard bolt. I'd have probably saved a little more if I'd taken it off.

trish b 09-12-2010 03:59 PM

STEFANIB123 Have you thought about asking for scraps from other quilters on the board?. Some will give them away for the price of postage. Perhaps someone who lives closse to your area would have some. This would give you fabric to use & have some great quilts without a large expenditure at this time. How about it quilters any of you in her area?

VaNella 10-20-2011 07:43 AM

So the current Virginia Quilter sale of a Moda scrap bag at 1/2 pound for $11.98 is close to $6.00/yard. You get selvedges on some of the pieces. I think you can do better shopping around.