Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying first machine-- Janome DC5100? Minimum throat size? other considerations? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-first-machine-janome-dc5100-minimum-throat-size-other-considerations-t260792.html)

GretaHoney 02-04-2015 09:20 AM

Buying first machine-- Janome DC5100? Minimum throat size? other considerations?

Hi all,

I am a new sewer researching buying my first machine. I am trying to spend under $600, hoping to find a reliable machine that won't immediately outgrow my needs.

I have found two local dealers I like, one Juki and one Janome. I am interested in a machine that can piece, but also has the gumption to quilt, and one day hopefully FMQ. Decorative stitches don't really interest me at this point. What is the minimum throat size I should be looking at?

I have test "driven" a couple machines at both shops, but feel like I know so little about machines and machine sewing, that my gut feelings may be totally wrong.

I am drawn to the Janome DC5100, at the top of my price range, but comes with a 1/4in foot and a walking foot. I played with the Juki HZL-G210 Excite, which felt really solid and powerful, but pretty noisy, and more than I wanted to spend, plus no included feet.

Does anyone have either machine? Any other machines under $600 I should consider for quilting?

ManiacQuilter2 02-04-2015 09:30 AM

I have a Bernina 1530 that I bought when it was new. I don't need all the bells and whistles the newer machines have and I am still quilting on it for over 20 years. I quilted many queen size quilts with no problem so unless you are going to be doing king size quilt, there is no problem with a smaller throat. You just need good support on your left side and behind the DSM so that the quilt doesn't fall off because the weight will interfere with your quilting. Good Luck with your choice. They just don't making DSM as good as they once did.

patricej 02-04-2015 10:17 AM

the janome you're looking at seems fine.
however, if there is any way you can squeeze a few more hundred into your budget, i would strongly recommend you go with the janome 3160QDC instead.
it comes with a few additional features that really make a difference when making quilts.
the extension table and auto thread cutter are worth their weight in gold.

i am a huge janome fan; own two now.
still ... if there is a brother dealer nearby you might want to check there, too.
you can sometimes find more features for your $$$.
i shopped around when looking for a truly portable machine and found a dealer-grade brother that saved me hundreds (comparing features) next to the comparable janome.
i did not expect to be impressed, but i absolutely love it.
the only downside is that they have really small throats/harps in the mid-to-low-end models.

Barb_MO 02-04-2015 10:32 AM

At your Janome Dealer, ask to look at a Janome Class Mate model S-750 This is the newest version of one I have been using since early 1990. Mine was ok, just wanted a new one. My dealer had a deal where he would give me a $75.00 trade in on any machine I had/ I didn't want to trade in my Class Mate, so I took an old Bernina that I had bought from him a few years ago for 75.00 I think everything was under $400.00
I can testify that the Janome Class Mate is a work horse, I have made upward to 150 quilts on mine.

Crqltr 02-04-2015 12:31 PM

Which dealer do you think would give you the best deal, lessons and help when you need it? That ould make a huge difference with e. I have two janomes and both are great. I would get the best one you can afford...I would tell both dealers you re looking at their competition and ask if there are any sales coming up.

ekuw 02-04-2015 12:39 PM

I have a Janome New Home 2030DC. I got it on sale for $500. It's not fancy, but it works for me. I've had no problems with it and have had it for about 2 1/2 years now. I FMQ on it, the throat is small, but I just deal with it :-) When I got it the extension table was included. I did buy my walking foot and 1/4 inch foot separate. I would recommend my machine. I would say buy at the top of your price range to get the most upgraded model you can afford so it will be longer before you have to buy another machine.

Knitette 02-04-2015 12:57 PM

You're wise to think about outgrowing your machine - I was also a new sewer and the first machine I bought was a Janome, which I quickly outgrew. As my skills improved I wanted to do more and more. I also wanted needle up/down, auto thread cutter etc and bought a another Janome (a TXL 607 which I don't think you guys have) which I loved from the minute I took it out the box.

However, at a quilt show I saw a demo of a Pfaff, which has a built-in walking foot and I fell in love with it. I now wouldn't buy another machine without this feature.

I suggest you make list of all the features you feel are important to you now or think you may want, and look at a few machines with those features.

Dolphyngyrl 02-04-2015 05:02 PM

Me personally I would save up a little longer, while those are nice machines, you are already talking about outgrowing machine so I would really decide what features you really want, and buy the best you can afford even if it means saving up a few more months. Both are good brands but you will want a decent size harp for quilting and both are pretty small machines. I also would worry less about price and more about dealer. you want a dealer that offers good support. Both are solid machines but I do believe the motors are stronger in the jukis. If it were me I would be looking at the juki F-600, but it will run you around 900-1k so like I said you might just want to save up a little longer for a little more IMHO.

GretaHoney 02-05-2015 08:35 AM

Thanks for all your comments! Your understand your collective advice to invest a little more money in this purchase for something that will (hopefully) last me longer. I plan on going back to both dealers and trying out some of the machines under $900-$1000.

One machine that I sewed on, but crossed off at the time as something I couldn't afford was the Necchi EX30. I can't find much info on it online. Does anyone know anything about that machine or brand?

Dina 02-05-2015 08:01 PM

You are doing research just right...mainly trying out machines and asking what others like. I did that five years ago, and the experience wore me out, but I ended up with the perfect machine for me. I wish I had slowed down and enjoyed the experience, but that just isn't my style. I also got lessons for one year and yearly maintenance for 5 years. I didn't know I was getting those, but I suspect, in hindsight, that I just didn't listen too well.

I had the added chore of buying the quietest machine I could so my sewing wouldn't interfere with my husband's amateur radios. He rigged up some sort of a sound measuring device...about the size of a tv remote...and I took it with me to three different dealers. Made it interesting, as none of the folks who waited on me had ever seen such a thing. I did buy the quietest machine though. (I did the same thing when I was searching for my last car...sort of. Another of our hobbies is flying radio control model airplanes. They have close to a six foot wing span, and one had to be able to fit in the back of the car. I took a paper model....with six foot wing span and 5 foot fuselage, again built by my husband...with me to car dealerships. I suspect I may have been the topic of many sales persons' break discussions! You know..."Did you see that lady with the (large paper airplane, sound measuring device....select one)"....)

Enjoy the hunt and your new machine.

Dina