Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   buying machine help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-machine-help-t310413.html)

Fizzle 04-01-2020 10:24 AM

buying machine help

Was going to drop off a machine for daughter in law and granddaughter to use while staying home. Pulled out the Singer and can't find the feet. The Bernina Seville, can't find the power cord. Neither are rock star machines anyway so considering buying a small, inexpensive, lightweight to give them.
Any suggestions? They have machines on Sewing Machines Plus but I don't want another piece of garbage. I want something that won't jam and they can figure it out easily. The EverSewn Sparrow 15 is mechanical. That might be good. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
I am a Bernina gal but would like to try some of the others??

cjsews 04-01-2020 10:30 AM

Walmart sells brother. They are inexpensive and from what others have said they are pretty good for the money

Iceblossom 04-01-2020 10:43 AM

The cheap Brother's aren't bad, but if you have Costco the one they sell for somewhere between $150-300 (depending on the year) is usually a really good buy and still in the cheap category.

My modern Bernina 820 decided it wanted to go to the shop towards the end of last year. It sews lovely for an inch and gives me an error screen. I push it and we go for about another inch. Yes, I've done every reset and cleaning possible at home except take the front off.

So then I pulled out my trusty heavy vintage machine that is older than me (I was born in 1960) and that I've used for about 30 years. Dropped the foot pedal and something broke inside. Need to have the hubby look and see if he can take the foot apart.

So I've been sewing on a very low end Brother for the last couple of months. I bought it in the box at the thrift store for $20, I think maybe because the bobbin winder doesn't work -- bought a side winder for another $20. But it is so low end I can't even choose a stitch length, just "longer" or "shorter". Still working beats non working! I've been very pleased with the accuracy of their quilter's foot, I sew from both the left/right sides and the front/back 1/4" markings help me with my miters and such. Took a bit to adjust to the feel of the different machine but it's doing everything I've been asking for piecing wise. Not doing any quilting with this one because the biggest downfall for me is it is so light and wants to move around, a little sticky carpet mat/vinyl covered shelf liner helps a lot.

Stitchnripper 04-01-2020 11:05 AM

The low end brother machines work right out of the box and have good manuals.

quilting cat 04-01-2020 11:07 AM

I have a Costco Singer inherited from my mother that is easier to carry around than my Bernina. Works okay.
Another option you have is buy a basic foot or two for the Singer you have. I think JoAnn's carries them.

tranum 04-01-2020 12:12 PM

I sold my Singer on Craig’s List. If you find one on CL just ask a lot of questions because mine had just been serviced (had receipt for that). I just didn’t need it anymore.

junegerbracht 04-01-2020 12:27 PM

I have an Eversewn 30 for travel and love it.

quiltingcandy 04-01-2020 02:10 PM

I do not have an Eversewn but saw one when they first came out at Quilt in A Day store. They demo'd it for me and couldn't say enough nice things about it. My point being that it was endorsed by Eleanor Burns so I can't imagine she would put her name on the line if she couldn't speak for it.

pocoellie 04-01-2020 04:33 PM

Everything I've heard about the Eversew is good. There was Bernina family fight and one of the brothers is the one that started the Eversew machine.

Jordan 04-02-2020 05:35 AM

I have heard that the Janome Gem is a nice little machine. My friend has one and she brings it to my house when we are all meeting for stitch time. Also, if you have a JoAnn's fabric store near you I know they sell sewing machines. Good luck in your search and you may be starting someone to be a quilter. That would be great.