Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying a new machine - Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-new-machine-help-t254398.html)

Joanie2 09-26-2014 08:05 PM

Buying a new machine - Help!

I've been a member for a long time but haven't been active in awhile, just lurking lately. I am getting ready to purchase a new sewing machine. The last machine I purchased was a used Elna Quilter's Dream. I love the model but ran into squeeking issues that ultimately cost me almost as much as the machine. My husband says no more used machines. So I'm torn between the Janome MC7700 and the Babylock Aria. My first computerized machine was a Babylock Esante, which I totally loved! It was easy to use and had all the bells and whistles I wanted. It gave me 15 wonderful sewing years and then the screen started to fade. I was told it was the motherboard and the machine is now obsolete. Both of my choice machines have similar bells & whistles and a great 11.25 throat space. But the prices are vastly different. I'm leaning toward the Babylock. Any info about your experiences would sure help. Thanks.

Cybrarian 09-26-2014 09:26 PM

I don't have the Aria, but I traded in my Elna 730 and bought a Babylock Unity I am over the moon loving my Uni! I also bought a Babylock Elizabeth which I really love too! Lizzie is my go to machine if I'm using the Unity for embroidery, and also the machine I use for classes etc. absolutely love them both!

JustAbitCrazy 09-27-2014 02:21 AM

I test drove that Janome MC 7700 a few years ago at a major quilt show and fell in love with it. That's the one with the red on the front. If I didn't have a longarm, I think that would be a great machine for free motion quilting, with all the light and throat space. And it has upper and lower feed dogs, a non negotiable requirement for me in a sewing machine. I have read recently of some (not all) owners having a problem with this machine, and I can't remember what the common problem was (sorry). So do some research on that. I'm not familiar with the Babylock Esante, but own the Babylock Serenade, which I love, love, love.

SingerSewer 09-27-2014 04:45 AM

One of my quilting buddies has the Aria and she loves it. She comments frequently on the throat space and how nice it is to have a larger area.

Janome isn't as popular in my area as BL and Brother machines...not a dealer close by.

Terri D. 09-27-2014 07:33 AM

I know a lot of quilters who have bought older, used Berninas, including me, and we've never had issues with them.

Dolphyngyrl 09-27-2014 09:40 AM

I have my dreamweaver which has all the features of the aria and I adore everything about it, the muvit foot which is dualfeed with differential quite different from the accufeed of the 7700, I love the pivoting function which I think the janome doesn't have, I love the AHA feature of keeping stitch tension even. I also like the pen and laser but I do not think these 2 features are avalaible on the aria. The harp size is about the same on both machine. I would be leaning towards the babylock if it were me . Both machines are nice but if I were going to get a janome it would be the 9900 as it has more features and less complaints overally but the aria can sew thicker materials than the janome to me you can sew over 10 layers with the muvit foot, no baulking, perfect stitches which is what makes the machine so versatile is that same foot can handle thin and difficult fabrics like minky with ease and precision. Also for garment sewing I just sewed a very stretchy knit, not the easiest to sew, no walking foot, no muvit foot, even used a decorative stitch and it sewed perfectly with just my standard zigzag foot. so the regular foot sews really difficult fabrics well. Even though the machine is geared towards quilters there are many features that also make it great for garment and heavy duty sewing as well

ManiacQuilter2 09-27-2014 11:28 AM

You really have to deal with buying a DSM as you would a car. Just think of it as comparing a Ford to a GM. You have to chose which one you felt comfortable quilting on and which has the features you prefer more.

trennag 09-27-2014 12:05 PM

I have the cresendo which is the aria with a few extras and I absolutly love it!!! It's my second baby lock and I can't say enough good things about them. Super user friendly and a joy to sew with!!

Joanie2 09-27-2014 06:17 PM

Thanks to those who shared their opinions. My husband took me out "window shopping" today. I was fairly certain that my choice would be the Aria but I needed to see them both in action. I had saved only half of the cost of the Aria so I didn't really expect to go home with a machine. Figured I'd have to wait until next year. Wrong!!! My husband steered me in the right direction...right to my coveted Aria! I was armed with 3 price quotes from other dealers and a the lowest quote was accepted! I can't tell you how surprised I was for that and for my husband not only letting me have my machine but I got the extension table as well. What a wonderful day! I know it will take me awhile to get used to all of it's abilities but I am thrilled. This covers my Christmas, birthday and anniversary gifts! Yeah for wonderful husbands who have learned to accept what we love! A happy wife, a happy life!

JustAbitCrazy 09-28-2014 01:46 AM

Awesome! No go play with her and learn what she can do for you! Have a creative day!