Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying online (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-online-t136539.html)

PrettyCurious 07-10-2011 09:40 AM

Yep. I bought 2 yards of a quilt block on the month fabric a couple years ago just cuz it was pretty. I finally decided what I wanted to do with it, but needed 7 yards. I found and bought 3 yards on a site called BluJay, 1 1/2 yards on Esty, and 3/4 of a yard on eBay.

Now, my new minimum "Cuz it's pretty" cut is 4 yards.

wolfkitty 07-10-2011 09:40 AM

I was hesitant at first, but once I got the hang of it, buying online is just way too easy. I, too, would buy everything online, if I could.

boysmomoflabs 07-10-2011 09:43 AM

For ordering parts for older machines, I've had wonderful experience with Sew-Classic. She shipped out from east coast and I had them within 2 days. Very fast!!!

np3 07-10-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
Yep. I bought 2 yards of a quilt block on the month fabric a couple years ago just cuz it was pretty. I finally decided what I wanted to do with it, but needed 7 yards. I found and bought 3 yards on a site called BluJay, 1 1/2 yards on Esty, and 3/4 of a yard on eBay.

Why not 7? :lol: :lol:

np3 07-10-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I was hesitant at first, but once I got the hang of it, buying online is just way too easy. I, too, would buy everything online, if I could.

Way too easy is right!

Amythyst02 07-10-2011 09:49 AM

I am an online junkie. I buy everything possible. Books, toys, food, fabric, you name I have probably bought it. The only thing I cannot buy is the sewing machine I want, because you have to purchase from a dealer. However, I have seen it on Ebay, but they are asking the same price for a used one that I can purchase new at the retail store.

I also pay 90% of my bills online. If I can pay it that way I do. I register my car that way. I actually bought that cute puppy you see in my avatar online too!!!! She was shipped to us from Mo. when she was just 8 weeks old.

I am quite pleased at the things you can do with computers!!!

PrettyCurious 07-10-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by np3

Cuz [1] I am cheap, and [2] most quilts have 3 to 4 colors/fabrics in them. So the chances of needing more than 4 yards is fairly slim.
This one pattern "Chained 9 Patch" that I fell in love with and decided it MUST have this one color as the background, is mostly 2 colors, and I'm not doing the paper piecing it suggests. I found another way, and already tried it out on a quilted carrying case for my cutting board. Pictures later.

What a darling puppy Amy!!!

np3 07-10-2011 09:51 AM

I pay my bills online now too. So much easier to do and to track back this way.

np3 07-10-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by np3

Cuz [1] I am cheap, and [2] most quilts have 3 to 4 colors/fabrics in them. So the chances of needing more than 4 yards is fairly slim.
This one pattern "Chained 9 Patch" that I fell in love with and decided it MUST have this one color as the background, is mostly 2 colors, and I'm not doing the paper piecing it suggests. I found another way, and already tried it out on a quilted carrying case for my cutting board. Pictures later. Way later.

Sounds like a neat pattern. I usually buy only 3 years of something I love. For my blenders and fillers, I buy 1-2 yards, depending on how often I use that color.

Little RoO 07-10-2011 09:54 AM

My dilemma......
I like to buy online as it really saves me money, especially if I am buying from the USA as it is so much cheaper than buying in the UK even with postage. Also it is so much easier for a lot of people who can't just pop to a local store....however I would be truly mortified if my local quilt shops closed down and I was unable to go and see and feel the fabric.
What I would like to see is all shops offering an online and physical shop but this maybe too expensive for a lot of little shops....however if it was a choice between just buying on line or going to my local quilt shop....there would be no competition....Local Quilt Shop it is