Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying quality fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-quality-fabric-t45539.html)

craftybear 05-11-2010 12:45 PM

buy what you can afford and have fun making quilts!

CarrieAnne 05-11-2010 01:19 PM

I agree. Buy what looks nice to you, and you can afford.

lfw045 05-11-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
There are places online you can get discounted quilt shop quality fabric. Thousands of Bolts has many brand name fabrics in the $4-5 dollar range, usually older collections than the current ones your LQS would have. Desperate Quilters has a lot for under $8, newer collections than Thousands of Bolts does. Seawatch Fabrics has the nicer quality Batiks and Asian fabrics at very good prices - usually $2-3 less than quilt shops. Each of these has great customer service and quick shipping. If you find a manufacture you like the fabric quality of, look them up online. You might be able to get what you want at a price you can afford! I buy from many online places and have never been disappointed in any fabric that I've gotten!

To quote what Terri said to me when I directed her to a site with Asian prints............"You're evil"

:lol: :-P

BellaBoo 05-11-2010 01:48 PM

I made a quilt years ago using quilt shop quality 100% cotton. Some of the first I ever bought in a quilt shop. I didn't know not to, so I bought a poly cotton blend fabric from a discount store, not Walmart, I think it was a TG&Y store. I mixed the two fabrics together in the quilt. My DD has the quilt and the good fabric is faded, has stretched thin around the seams, and easy to get a tear. The poly cotton still looks as good as it did when I bought it. I like quilt shop quality fabric for the designs and color and the way it feels and I buy it when it's on sale. I also buy a lot of poly cotton at Walmart. I think the poly cotton fabric has somehow gotten a bad rap for no good reason. It feels great and sews great. And it doesn't distort so much when cut.

quiltsRfun 05-11-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
the good fabric is faded, has stretched thin around the seams, and easy to get a tear. The poly cotton still looks as good as it did when I bought it. . . . I think the poly cotton fabric has somehow gotten a bad rap for no good reason. It feels great and sews great. And it doesn't distort so much when cut.

I had a similar experience with a pieced binding I did on my first quilt. It was a scrap quilt that turned out a little dull so I decided a pieced binding might spice it up. Not knowing any better, I just picked out the colors I needed and bought a mixture of cottons and poly/cotton blends. The cottons all wore through at the fold but the poly/cottons are still intact. I agree, poly/cotton has gotten a bad rap. That little bit of poly adds a lot of durability. I'd consider using it again for binding a quilt that will get a lot of use.

MrsSew66 05-11-2010 02:53 PM

I found a place online called Marshall Dry Goods. They carry name brand quilting fabric at fantastic prices. I haven't ordered from them yet, but I plan to place my next order with them.

katier825 05-11-2010 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045

Originally Posted by katier825
There are places online you can get discounted quilt shop quality fabric. Thousands of Bolts has many brand name fabrics in the $4-5 dollar range, usually older collections than the current ones your LQS would have. Desperate Quilters has a lot for under $8, newer collections than Thousands of Bolts does. Seawatch Fabrics has the nicer quality Batiks and Asian fabrics at very good prices - usually $2-3 less than quilt shops. Each of these has great customer service and quick shipping. If you find a manufacture you like the fabric quality of, look them up online. You might be able to get what you want at a price you can afford! I buy from many online places and have never been disappointed in any fabric that I've gotten!

To quote what Terri said to me when I directed her to a site with Asian prints............"You're evil"

:lol: :-P

Oh, you don't know how true that is! :) :) Actually, I must admit I'm addicted to the nice stuff and the only way I can really afford it is to buy it at a discount. The fabrics I get at those places are the same first quality as the quilt shops. They just aren't the most recent releases. Guess I'm spoiled! LOL

lfw045 05-11-2010 03:17 PM

I've got several of the Asian fabrics that I saw there and saw some that made me drool over. I may just have to finish out some of my collections with the coordinates that I saw there!

CajunQuilter2 05-11-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
And it's one of those things that you may change your mind on over time. I used to use Wal-Mart fabric all the time; I couldn't tell much difference. But as I have used more quilt-shop fabrics, I notice the difference more, and I am beginning to be pickier about what I use.

Ditto here

brushandthimble 05-11-2010 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
And it's one of those things that you may change your mind on over time. I used to use Wal-Mart fabric all the time; I couldn't tell much difference. But as I have used more quilt-shop fabrics, I notice the difference more, and I am beginning to be pickier about what I use.

Ditto here

and here
I try to carefully check the quality, I also check the sales at the LQS, and love to pick through their scrap baskets. I may get my borders and backing at the LQS but really try to get it on sale. I hate to pay retail for backings.