Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying a ruler help wanted (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-ruler-help-wanted-t38473.html)

Lace hearts 03-03-2010 05:49 AM

Hi all
I've established now by searching previous threads and the kindness of someone pm-ing me that I need a 6 1/2 " x 24 inch ruler and a 12 1/2" square for my first rulers. I went into my local quilt shop, but the prices almost had me falling over. How can a ruler be so expensive?!
(I'm in the UK, so we don't have a JoAnn's). I found an online shop, but the price for the two rulers is still £30, which is around $50 I guess. Does that sound like a lot? The reason I ask is that I'm visiting the US this summer (can't wait... all those fabric and quilting shops :D ) and so I wonder whether it may be better to wait and get the rulers there. I'd hate to find they are really much cheaper. I've got so much to learn, that I kind of feel I can wait if there's a big difference in the prices.
Any advice?

gailmitchell 03-03-2010 06:06 AM

Before you come to the USA, you need to sign up at Joann.com They will send you coupons.. The coupons are dated, so hopefully timing will be on your side, and there will be some coupons issued just before you come, or while you are here. Will you be bringing your computer? If so, then you can download your coupon onto a memory stick and take it to any pharmacy such as Walgreens, or CVS and print it for 30 cents. Also, the rulers go on sale from time to time and you can check that online.

Also, rulers are available at some other places. I was at AC Moore last week and I saw some rulers there. They have coupons that come out every Sunday by email. Sometimes 50% and sometimes 40% off of one item only. But if you and your hubby go to the store, you can each use a coupon.

You can do lots of research online before you come. And being on this board will help you lots too.

How long will you be in the USA?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-03-2010 06:06 AM

There are other UK quilters on here thata can lead you in the right direction. All the posts I've read make it sound like quilting supplies are very expensive for those of you not in the US. It should remind those of us that are here not to complain so much.

As for here in the US, I bought a beginner set that included an 18 x 24 inch cutting mat, 3 x 18 ruler and rotary cutter at a Joann's for $30. My square rulers came in a set from Wal-mart. 12.5, 9.5, 6.5 and 4.5 inches for $25.

weezie 03-03-2010 06:18 AM

You should definitely wait until you are here in the U.S. How much duty free can you take back into the U.K. with you? I just checked Joann.com international shipping & handling and it says "unavailable"; I don't know if it's the s & h that's unavailable or the information. Either way, it'd be best to get your stuff here. I get all my cutting supplies at 40% or 50% off at Joann's, either on sale or with a coupon.

brushandthimble 03-03-2010 06:26 AM

If there is a Michaels (craft store) near you when you visit the US they will take anyone's coupons. Google ACMoore crafts, and print out their coupon (or 2 and take someone with you to use the second one) and go to Michaels and get your rulers at 40% off.
I have recently replaced a few cutting mats with JoAnn coupons at Michaels. They are closer and easier to get to, AND very pleasant.

Esqmommy 03-03-2010 06:33 AM

And lesson be learned about how valuable those coupons are. Point in fact - last night I went to Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% coupon. I was going to buy a cupcake stand for $15.99, less the coupon. I had a 50% off coupon for Michael's, so I walked over there first to see the price. They actually charged $29.95 for the same stand. If I had used the 50% off, it would have been the 15.99 (roughly). So, it was a better deal to use the 20% off at the first store. And it also goes to show you the mark up when the store expects that folks will wait for the 50% off sales, or use their coupons. At Michaels, or Joann's, NEVER buy something unless you are using a coupon or it's marked at 40-50% off!!!

Katrine 03-03-2010 07:25 AM

Can only sympathise as I have to buy all my equipment from the UK - which in turn is about 50% less than French prices - So I think that's good! Can understand you wanting to wait for your visit, but does that mean you cannot cut anything until the summer? If it was me I would get the rulers (Cotton Patch are best price) and leave the weight allowance for fabrics!

Lady Crafter 03-03-2010 07:33 AM

Lace hearts, good choice for your first rulers. I would also recommend a 6-1/2" square ruler to add to the two you have chosen. Unfortunately, I would wait until you visit the US. You can purchase things here and mail them home ... in the end that still might be a cheaper alternative.

weezie 03-03-2010 07:49 AM

I bought a 4-pack of square rulers (Omnigrid), like Lisa mentioned in her post (12.5, 9.5, 6.5, and 4.5 inches) with a coupon (Joann's), so ended up paying, including sales tax, less than $15.00. I find all 4 sizes very useful.

Missi 03-03-2010 08:32 AM

Good rulers are expensive here, there, and everywhere. I usually wait and buy them when on sale or with a coupon. My LQS carries creative grids and I am IN LOVE. I was a loyal Omni Grid user and still am since I can't afford to upgrade. But I do have a coupon from my LQS for 40% off one item in March for quilt month and I am gonna splurge on the 24 x 24 creative grids!!!!

Every once in awhile connecting threads will have their rulers on sale. I don't know if they ship internationally at a decent rate. Also have you checked ebay?