Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying a sewing machine in China (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-sewing-machine-china-t198231.html)

charity-crafter 08-21-2012 12:58 PM

It's amazing that so much is made in China, but yet you can't buy it in China. Most people buy fabric and have something made by the person they bought the fabric from or someone near by, at least in Shanghai.
Good luck, let us know what she decides to do.

LadyElisabeth 08-21-2012 02:15 PM

My new Pfaff was made in Taiwan

BellaBoo 08-21-2012 06:02 PM

I think most machine motors are made in China no matter where the machine is manufactured.

Pieces2 08-22-2012 05:59 AM

I would prefer to buy something made in the US, if that is possible anymore.
I have Berninas and I know they are made in Switzerland.
I would stay away from machines made in China/Japan.
Consider serving these machines, if they are 'genereic' machines. (?)
Can they be serviced, or are they 5 year machines. That you have to replace because all the
plastic pieces are worn out? Curious to know what she finds there.

Chasing Hawk 08-22-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Joan Wales-Dickson (Post 5456546)
Pfaff is made in Japan. I would be careful about a machine made in China.

I remember when they were made in Germany.

linkd 08-22-2012 07:51 AM

I was in China in 2004 as a tourist. We visited Xian and saw the Terra Cotta Army. The admission tickets were advertising Brother sewing machines. We could tell they were an ad - Brother name in English and a picture of a sewing machine, but couldn't tell they were also the ticket. Everything else was Chinese as were the vast majority of the visitors. There are lovely fabric shops in China and they also sell to the local market and not just tourists I'm sure she can find something, but depending on how long she is going to stay there - sometimes a five year machine might be just what she needs since converting a high end machine to US electricity might be difficult.

Chasing Hawk 08-22-2012 07:52 AM

Wouldn't be ironic if the stuff in China all said.......Made in America!!

Good luck on your friend's adventure in finding a machine.

MattieMae 08-22-2012 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Pieces2 (Post 5458872)
I would prefer to buy something made in the US, if that is possible anymore.
I have Berninas and I know they are made in Switzerland.
I would stay away from machines made in China/Japan.
Consider serving these machines, if they are 'genereic' machines. (?)
Can they be serviced, or are they 5 year machines. That you have to replace because all the
plastic pieces are worn out? Curious to know what she finds there.

I remember when all Berninas were made in Switzerland, not just the high end models. I guess the Taiwan factory keeps them competitive, wish their prices were.

rush88888 08-22-2012 08:41 AM

there are voltage adapters for this.

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5456994)
Maybe she is better off bringing one with her to China? But wonder what their plug outlets voltage is? It could be different then what she needs on a machine she bought in the states.

MattieMae 08-22-2012 09:02 AM

If they’re still advertising the Brother on tourist admission tickets in China, I’d go with the Brother.

Sorry, this was supposed to be in my post about Bernina/Taiwan. I know Taiwan is not in China.