Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   buying a sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-sewing-machine-t78830.html)

julie777 11-26-2010 11:55 AM

i want to buy my daughter a sewing machine this will be her first one what is a good brand that would be sold in walmart target other areas are the singers still pretty good they dont look like there is much to them

raptureready 11-26-2010 11:57 AM

I've had Brother and Singer (both sold in Walmart) and for the same money I'd pick a Brother over Singer any day.

Quilter7x 11-26-2010 11:59 AM

I recommend a Janome Jem. Janome is a very easy brand of machines to learn on and the Jem line is light weight. So as a diehard Janome lover, that's my recommendation! :thumbup:

For sure, others are going to recommend other brands and you should consider everyone's comments before making your decision. If you get the chance to test-sew on a machine before buying it, that would be the best.

I don't recommend new Singer's either. The older ones are good, but not the new machines.

Good luck! :)

greensleeves 11-26-2010 11:59 AM

I think the Singers you find at WM and Target are good beginner machines and you may find they last a very long time. They don't have a lot of bells and whistles but enough that a beginner has some specialty stitches they can use. Just be sure your daughter knows how to thread top and bobbin and she should be good to go.

amma 11-26-2010 12:11 PM

Here is my two cents worth... a machine, Singer or brother, for under a $100 is a great deal for a beginner. Or pick up an older used one from a dealer or sew/vacuum center or repair shop.
You don't know until they get one, just how interested they really may be.

If they use it for 3-5 years, treat it well, keep the bobbin area clean, it will be a great machine for them. Most of the new machines don't even require oiling. Then maybe look to upgrade :wink:

There really is not a need to take these inexpensive new machines in to be serviced, at $50+ each time... It is more affordable to just replace them every 3 years. You can always find these lower end machines, new, for $100 or less. The same price or even cheaper than two service/maintenance bills :D:D:D

bj 11-26-2010 12:22 PM

I have a little Singer Touch and Sew that I like a lot. I've never sewn on any other brand. But mine has a few built in stitches and sews very well. I bought it because it had the blanket stitch for applique. Now, when I learn to applique, I'll be set!:O)

scowlkat 11-26-2010 12:25 PM

I would recommend checking locally on craigslist or papers for an older mechanical sewing machine. I, too, would say no to a modern Singer. If you prefer a new machine, I have a really nice machine I purchased for $149 from easyterms on ebay to take to guild meetings. They have a lot of good prices and many models. Just depends on what you want to spend and if you might want to use it as a portable to take to classes - if your daughter will let you!

hobo2000 11-26-2010 12:31 PM

Having taught 3 granddaughters and 2 grandsons to sew, I have learned the hard way not to buy too simple of a machine. You will throw your money away unless it has at least 20 fancy stitches. These kids have grown up on video games and learn a sewing machine in a snap. They will have the cleaning down pat in minutes and oiling. Then they will try every fancy stitch. Too simple of a machine will bore them and you will lose their interest I taught the 2 grandsons to make Christmas stockings 3 weeks ago. Johnny has made 10 more on his own and Johny has made only 3 but he increased the size double for his teachers all without anyones help. They are 10 and 7. Good luck!

carolaug 11-26-2010 12:37 PM

I have been looking too...all the research I have done and people I have talked to...I would buy a Brothers not a singers.

carolaug 11-26-2010 12:41 PM

I agree with you...I bought a Kenmore in April not knowing I would get into quilting or sewing for that matter...I wish I would have paid the extra for a computerized one to make the fancy designs. Now I am looking for a better machine with more bells and whistles.

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Having taught 3 granddaughters and 2 grandsons to sew, I have learned the hard way not to buy too simple of a machine. You will throw your money away unless it has at least 20 fancy stitches. These kids have grown up on video games and learn a sewing machine in a snap. They will have the cleaning down pat in minutes and oiling. Then they will try every fancy stitch. Too simple of a machine will bore them and you will lose their interest I taught the 2 grandsons to make Christmas stockings 3 weeks ago. Johnny has made 10 more on his own and Johny has made only 3 but he increased the size double for his teachers all without anyones help. They are 10 and 7. Good luck!