Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   calling all hand quilters??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/calling-all-hand-quilters-t89466.html)

jme 01-10-2011 07:41 PM

I machine piece my blocks but am desperately trying to ;earn to hand quilt. I want to know what kind of thread do you use to quilt with (brand, type, etc)? Also this is my 1st project without using just straight lines and I want to know when I quilt the border do I start with my pattern in the middle or go corner to corner? As in will it effect how it looks, be centered, etc. ? HELP ME PLEASE

sueisallaboutquilts 01-10-2011 07:46 PM

I use thread specifically labeled for hand quilting. It's stronger. I use no longer than a length of 18 inches of thread at a time or else it gets tangled. My favorite size needle is 11 but there are smaller and larger sizes.
I also use a leather thimble b/c it's the only one I've ever been able to use. But again, there are many others.
As for the border you really need to measure it and then measure the repeat of the quilting stencil. It's nice to have all the corners the same. I would check Youtube- maybe they have a tutorial on that.
Good luck! I love hand quilting! :D:D

roselady 01-10-2011 10:33 PM

Getting a border pattern to fit your quilt can be tricky...more tricky to try to explain how without pictures. Do you have any books that might explain it? Can you get one at your local library? I am not much of a youtube expert, but there is probably something on there that will show you how to adapt the pattern to fit your border. As far as quilting end to end or from the middle out...I always go from the middle out, much more apt to get everything to lay flat that way.

Borntohandquilt 01-10-2011 11:34 PM

I always use special hand quilting thread and my favourite brand is YLI, but from time to time I also use Coats or Gütermann. Hand quilting threads are very strong and coated to prevent knots and tangling.
I can recommend two books about quilt marking: "Mastering Quilt Marking" by Pepper Cory and "Beautifully Quilted" by Alex Anderson. For me they were both very helpful.
I always try to have all the corners of the quilt the same regarding the quilting pattern. Many stencils include a corner solution and I start with the corners when marking. The space between has to be devided through the length of the pattern repeat. As already mentioned, you have to measure a little!
You can also start to mark the corners , work toward the middle or your border and "break it up" there or add another pattern. It is a little easier because you don't have to measure so much.
For both options the quilting is done clockwise or counterclockwise.

mom-6 01-11-2011 12:00 AM

I learned the hard way that it works best to start in the center of the quilt and work your way out to the edges. For the border it is still probably a good idea to start in the center and work your way to the ends.

117becca 01-11-2011 03:36 AM

My favorite hand quilting thread is YLI glazed cotton thread. I do have to order it online, but i placed an order on one day \& it was on my door 2 days later. I also don't think the YLI knots as easily as the C&C and i don't like Gutterman at all

manley 01-11-2011 04:11 AM

I use a glazed hand quilting thread. Hope you enjoy hand piecing. It's very relaxing to me.

Lacelady 01-11-2011 05:28 AM

I try to use cotton thread, but don't buy specifically made for hand quilting. Also, always thread your needle from the end furthest away from the spool - it tangles a lot less from that end.

Stitchnripper 01-11-2011 05:36 AM

I've only used Coats and Clark glazed hand quilting thread and haven't yet found any problems with it.

harryb1834 01-11-2011 09:18 AM

Bees wax will also add strength to you thread.