Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Calling All Longarm Quilters - I have a question... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/calling-all-longarm-quilters-i-have-question-t231501.html)

thequilteddove 10-01-2013 06:56 AM

Calling All Longarm Quilters - I have a question...

Longarmer to longarmer, have any of you ever LA quilted tops & backs that were made of silk, taffeta or satins? Or a mix of these? I know regular sewing with these fabrics can be touchy... my concern is whether or not LA quilting of these fabrics if there would be any 'pinching' the fabrics causing a pull ... not sure how to word what I'm talking about - hope you all can visualize what I mean... Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks, Rose

ScubaK 10-01-2013 07:41 AM

What do you mean by "pinching"?

Prism99 10-01-2013 08:36 AM

I think that with some of these fabrics there is always a risk of pulling a thread. Using a new needle of the right size helps. It must also have the right kind of point. I haven't longarmed this kind of fabric myself, but it's an interesting question.

feline fanatic 10-01-2013 08:39 AM

Years ago Greenfairy did a silk all over with silk thread. The client was the owner of Superior threads and she made a jacket of it. She posted it here a long time ago. I am sure if you search here or her blog you can find it. I don't recall her saying she had any issues. I am thinking as long as you take your time loading and making sure everything is smooth and wrinkle free, do a little test stitch on the side you should be fine.

mighty 10-01-2013 08:52 AM

I am pretty new to longarming and have not tried this. Be sure you use the right needle and load with care.

Tartan 10-01-2013 09:12 AM

That's a tough one! An expensive quilt to make a mess on. I think the top would probably stitch up without pulling threads but the back might be trickier. I think Hcarpanini did one for her My Christmas angel? Maybe you can PM her.

greensleeves 10-01-2013 09:25 AM

I've longarmed satin backed baby quilts with no problem but I always start with a new needle for those just to be on the safe side.

Shorebird 10-01-2013 01:03 PM

GREAT QUESTION! I have not quilted these fabrics with my long arm....but I think suggestions to date re: brand new needle and one with the correct point make a lot of sense......Anxiously awaiting further responses.......

selm 10-01-2013 02:46 PM

I'm longarming a silk quilt right now. It's been taking a while but not because of the silk. It's raw silk which is thicker than some silks. The silk has been fine as far as stitching. It reacts like cotton when you remove stitches. A little rub with your thumb nail and the holes close up. It's been taking me a while because I'm having problems with small loops on the bottom which I think is a bent bobbin. But this has caused me a lot of stitch removal as I didn't catch it fast enough.
I've never quilted taffeta or satin but did make my daughter's wedding dress of satin many years ago. I was very afraid of creating a "run" in the fabric but that never happened. I think keeping a sharp needle in the machine helped.

yel 10-01-2013 04:42 PM

i found a piece of slick animal print thought why not [did a whole cloth ] worked good i did put something snuggly on the back but it made a great couch cover ......