Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cameo Silhouette (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cameo-silhouette-t247816.html)

Opal Jane 06-03-2014 02:57 AM

Cameo Silhouette

Does anyone have a Cameo Silhouette cutting machine? If so, what are your thoughts about it? Do you have any recommendations? I am thinking about purchasing one.

Thanks,

ayellowrose 06-03-2014 04:11 AM

I'll be following this. I'd love to have one but don't know anything about them.

Weezy Rider 06-03-2014 04:22 AM

I have one. I haven't used it for fabric, but I have made and cut quilting stencils. Silhouette does have a fabric cutting kit. It uses a stabilizer. You can also paint on fabric with the fabric paints. (I've used sketch pens)

If you are interested, I would find out what weight of stabilizer and the cutting instructions (you change blade settings) are for fabric. Then you can purchase your own stabilizer should you buy a Silhouette.

I also make my own cards, so the Silhouette does that.

Stashelf 06-03-2014 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one. I use it with fabric, I don't scrapbook. I made quilts for triplets and it was great. I scanned the pattern pieces, separated them and then cut them out on the machine. You can put different size and color pieces of material to cut out different pieces at one time. You can also use their cut outs with fabric. I use wonder bond lite on the material then cut it out. It has a setting for fabric. You can download a free design each week. It is great for appliqué, there is a bit of a learning curve with it. The store I bought mine from had classes to learn it and projects to use it, they just finished a Baltimore Sampler project. A friend used hers to create a pattern for the glasses she etched for her son's wedding.

Stashelf 06-03-2014 07:53 PM

Sorry the picture is so out of focus. Those are bears and bees

Cheshirechat 06-04-2014 07:47 AM

I have one and download the premade templates to make cards. each of the templates only cost about a dollar, so its a lot cheaper and more creative than buying birthday cards at the store. never tried fabric yet. there's special software to make your own designs but I'm not good enough with the computer to use it! if you're looking to use it for quilt pieces I think the accuquilt or sizzix machines are better.

knitwitrosie 06-04-2014 11:14 AM

I have a Cameo, plus the "little sister" Portrait. I've only ever used it for scrapbooking, so I can't speak on how it does with cutting fabric. However, one of the things I LOVE about the machine and the software is the ability to use any graphic and/or font that is on your computer and convert them to cutting files. Plus, the store is PACKED full of great designs!

I agree with Cheshirechat.... For mass-production of quilt pieces, the AccuQuilt or Sizzix machines are going to suit your needs better.

Weezy Rider 06-05-2014 03:09 AM

I can do my own designs so I do have that software. I was always frustrated with the precut dies as I always wanted something that wasn't available. That goes for the Sizzix as well as the Cricut. I tend to use the Big Shot if I want to emboss paper. How many silhouettes of a Triumph Spitfire have you seen? I can think of usage for a quilt with that particular car. I'd have to figure out where to set blade, and what stabilizer to use.