Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   cameras and quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cameras-quilting-t161853.html)

alikat110 10-20-2011 04:55 PM

This is a fabulous tip!!!!!

EasyPeezy 10-20-2011 05:21 PM

I mark every block with a piece of masking tape and name them First row:
A1...A8 then B1...B8, etc. Then I take a pic of each two blocks together
in the right order, plus I take a few pics of the whole display then I have all
this on my computer for reference in case I lose my tape or something.
Double insurance so to speak.

Cagey 10-20-2011 05:47 PM

Sometimes I will take a picture of my quilt before I quilt it.
I mark up the picture with the design I think would look nice before I start. This is helped me save hours of ripping out stitches.

QuilterGary 10-20-2011 06:12 PM

All good sugestions. I wish I could remember them when I am working on a project instead of when I have the seam riper in my hand.

jitkaau 10-21-2011 03:03 AM

Often, taking a picture of the quilt when it is just laid out before sewing the blocks together, can show up any imbalances of design or colour that one doesn't see with the 'naked' eye. I do it for this reason, and save myself a lot of grief.

brushandthimble 10-21-2011 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
Often, taking a picture of the quilt when it is just laid out before sewing the blocks together, can show up any imbalances of design or colour that one doesn't see with the 'naked' eye. I do it for this reason, and save myself a lot of grief.

I tell my students to use their camera as a quilting tool. I think I use it most as described above, it really shows an unbalanced value or border. I must have taken 24 photos of my one block wonder I put together last week. Each photo showed which block stood out and needed to be moved.

jpmaroni 10-21-2011 03:26 AM

Great idea to use the camera. always learning great tips.

mimiknoxtaylor 10-21-2011 03:39 AM

I use my camera for this all the time. I'll snap a pic then rearrange the blocks & snap again, etc. Usually going back to the 1st arrangement but not really remembering what it was :lol:

olebat 10-21-2011 03:51 AM

Last year I had a good save because of a camera. Batik drunkards path on design wall, nicely laid out. Took a snap. Wild Wind goes through, (AKA cat) and knocks half of the pieces off. Printed the px, and was soon back in business.

QuiltingHaven 10-21-2011 03:54 AM

I use the phone camera all the time. I am still a newbie and use some tools that I used when I was working (retired and lovin' it) and graph paper and markers work well also. I take pictures of all stages of my quilting. From the stack of fabric, to the blocks as I lay them out, my flannel board, my practice layouts of the blocks, I just grab the phone and take pictures. As a new quilter, I find that uploading them to my iPad or computer helps me to remember exactly what I had in mind when I started. Also, change things after I look at a picture and go "wow, that doesn't work". Find the new technology works well with the old technology of quilting.