Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can anyone read the date on this quilt?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-anyone-read-date-quilt-t268398.html)

applique 08-06-2015 04:55 AM

The early ones often covered another old one. You could see the old tattered pieced one through the tears

ptquilts 08-06-2015 05:18 AM

I agree, looks like 1703 but maybe 1903 and one piece of embroidery is missing. Very interesting with the starburst design in the center. The "buttons" are the way wool yarn ties get after washing and use. They make like fuzz buttons. What are you doing about washing it?

Geri B 08-06-2015 07:03 AM

Interesting info about wool yarn/ button......indeed a strange looking quilt, but must have served its purpose at the time...

When was the domestic sewing machine invented? Made practical for many to own? This certainly seems to be made by someone who maybe didn't have the $$$$ to purchase new so did with what was available. That star motif was machine sewn on as were the seams(s) so had to be after invention/mass production of sm....I would think anyway. And, probably used in a colder climate being all that heavy fabric pieces........see it's talking to us!

Wonder if down the road someone will try decipher one of ours.....

earthwalker 08-06-2015 07:15 AM

Looks like 1903 to me....what an interesting and charming quilt....love the star burst design. We call them waggas here...simple quilts made of old clothes (and often filled with old clothes)...Swaggies and shearers used sacking.

buddy'smom 08-06-2015 10:51 AM

Thank you all so is much, it is very interesting indeed.

Dina 08-06-2015 01:52 PM

I think this quilt might have been made with samples of men's suit fabrics? Someone in my family used to sell suits and had lots of samples of fabrics. My grandmother would make quilts out of the samples, always tied with red too. This was probably when that fabric was discontinued?

I say this like I really know, but this is an old memory and may be entirely inaccurate. :)

Dina

lindaschipper 08-07-2015 02:59 AM

Depending on the country of origin it could be (1-7-03 January 7, 1903 or in some European countries they put the day and then the month and year. So July 1, 1903.

carolynjo 08-07-2015 04:12 AM

Kalama Quilts, peddlers and tailors frequently had sample books to take with them or show to prospective customers. These sample books contained squares of fabric sewed or glued in the books. They enabled the customer to feel the fabric to check the weight and "hand" of the fabric. When the new books came out, people could buy, or were given, the sample books. These pieces from the books were then used in quilts.

Gerbie 08-07-2015 04:17 AM

Possible that it is Jan 7, 1903-1-7-03. Interesting.

buddy'smom 08-07-2015 04:22 AM

Thanks everyone, very helpful indeed. I also think they were samples and some nice ones at that.