Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can anyone tell me more about Adblock ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-anyone-tell-me-more-about-adblock-t159521.html)

kitsykeel 10-10-2011 05:52 PM

Read the topic "malicious content" post and noticed some members are using "adblock." I looked it up on ASK and found it can be downloaded for free on different sites, i.e. adblock.com; overapps.com; softonic.com; superblocker.com. The definition is: a browser extension in Mozilla Firefox that blocks ads that pop up. Does one have to subscribe to this Mozilla Firefox to get adblock? Any info would help because it is no annoying to constantly be xing out of those worrisome ads. Thanks in advance.

Airwick156 10-10-2011 05:54 PM

Mozilla Firefox is free. To my knowledge Firefox is a browser like Internet Explorer.

wraez 10-10-2011 05:55 PM

Mozilla Firefox is free, I have it and love it. It has great virus protection and ad blocking etc. Go check it out.

QuiltnNan 10-10-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
Mozilla Firefox is free, I have it and love it. It has great virus protection and ad blocking etc. Go check it out.

ditto! :thumbup:

Marilynsue 10-10-2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by wraez

My son just put this on my computer last weekend. So far so good! :thumbup:

kitsykeel 10-10-2011 07:22 PM

I read recently that it is unwise to put two different virus protections on one computer. Does this adblock constitute a virus protection or is it just a pop-up blocker? Not to savvy about these tech things.

lisalisa 10-10-2011 07:33 PM

It's neither/nor. It simply blocks out embedded advertisements such as the ones you see at the top of QB.

That said, I am in no way condoning blocking out the ads from any free site, as the people who run said sites rely on the revenue from those ads to keep it free.

gale 10-10-2011 07:41 PM

I believe that IE also has an adblock extension. And Chrome does too, if you use that.

minnow895 10-10-2011 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by kitsykeel
Read the topic "malicious content" post and noticed some members are using "adblock." I looked it up on ASK and found it can be downloaded for free on different sites, i.e. adblock.com; overapps.com; softonic.com; superblocker.com. The definition is: a browser extension in Mozilla Firefox that blocks ads that pop up. Does one have to subscribe to this Mozilla Firefox to get adblock? Any info would help because it is no annoying to constantly be xing out of those worrisome ads. Thanks in advance.

when you open your windows program go to tool click it should have pop up blocker click on pop up blocker to turn it on i use it works great i find that the more i add that windows already has it slowes down everthing and programs start freezeing up or go to cnet.com you can check there on which ones people like and which ones are free good luck

gale 10-10-2011 11:44 PM

pop up blockers are not the same as adblock. Adblock will block ads that don't pop up.