Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   can this be done? ... and be comfortable (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-done-comfortable-t242657.html)

libby2595 03-06-2014 10:34 AM

can this be done? ... and be comfortable

i've had a "dream" item in my head for a long time... from WAY before i started to sew...

i've thought about having a reversible duvet cover. this means that it would have FOUR usable sides instead of TWO.

now, i know that this can be done with sheets: as in one piece of fabric for each side.

but my question to you all is... if i were to piece each of the four sides and GENTLY quilt them (as in using the thinnest batting), can this be something that can be comfortable to sleep under.

i imagine it can be. i guess i'm mostly writing this post to see if anyone else has thought of this and executed it... how did it work out for you?

thanks for any and all info

luvTooQuilt 03-06-2014 10:38 AM

SURE why not.. . im sure you can use french seams.. start out with a pillow case and work out the kinks and then make the big one..

PenniF 03-06-2014 10:52 AM

I agree it can absolutely be done....but i would worry a bit about the final weight once the duvet was inside ...might be too heavy to be comfortable to sleep under.....particularly for an on the back sleeper...your toes would feel squished !:p

libby2595 03-06-2014 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 6612508)
I agree it can absolutely be done....but i would worry a bit about the final weight once the duvet was inside ...might be too heavy to be comfortable to sleep under.....particularly for an on the back sleeper...your toes would feel squished !:p

good point!
i could play with the idea of piecing two of the four sides, maybe.

libby2595 03-06-2014 11:01 AM

lol then again, i'm used to sleeping with a 65lb puppy on top of me... so weight might not be that much of an issue lol

Mdegenhart 03-06-2014 11:06 AM

I disagree. I have a high quality percale Lands End percale cotton duvet cover & I dislike it because it is heavy. I can't imagine how heavy four layers of fabric would be.

NJ Quilter 03-06-2014 11:30 AM

You might want to try some samples with a thin poly batting vs a thin cotton batting first. The poly will probably be lighter weight and with those number of layers, more comfortable. Or possibly, just use flannel as a batting?

libby2595 03-06-2014 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6612609)
You might want to try some samples with a thin poly batting vs a thin cotton batting first. The poly will probably be lighter weight and with those number of layers, more comfortable. Or possibly, just use flannel as a batting?

yeah, flannel was what i was thinking. something THIN.

AliKat 03-06-2014 04:47 PM

For a duvet cover I wouldn't use any batting ... unless I was really cold.

Barb_MO 03-06-2014 06:39 PM

I bought some sheets at Macys and they are reversible. I bought gray ones. One side is light gray the other dark gray. They are really nice sheets, very high thread count and feels so nice. You might check into that and make your cover using two sheet of different colors.