Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I do anything about this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-do-anything-about-t222477.html)

meyert 05-28-2013 05:49 PM

Can I do anything about this?

1 Attachment(s)
I had a bible verse embroidered on a quilt square for a memory quilt. I gave the lady the fabric and told her green.... so she did just as I asked. I did not want the bible verse to be the focus of the quilt, but as I look it is not very easy to read. I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to improve the legibility of the writing. I have ideas, but not sure if anything would work. I wondered about dry brushing some fabric paint on the letters - just barely to add a little definition. Any ideas?

CarolynMT 05-28-2013 06:01 PM

I would sash the block in something light with that green in it, it will make the blue fade and bring the green out.

Central Ohio Quilter 05-28-2013 06:36 PM

I think to make those words stand out I would take either white or black embroidery thread and outline each letter by hand. It will take a while but that will make it readable. It would make a good task to do while watching TV.

bluteddi 05-28-2013 06:42 PM

I agree with Central Ohioquilter... but boy what a job!!

Dina 05-28-2013 07:07 PM

I also agree, outlining each letter, probably in black, would work the best.

auntpiggylpn 05-28-2013 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter (Post 6091173)
I think to make those words stand out I would take either white or black embroidery thread and outline each letter by hand. It will take a while but that will make it readable. It would make a good task to do while watching TV.

Fabulous idea!!! :thumbup:

meyert 05-29-2013 04:24 AM

Thank you so much for your responses.... I think I will lay some green fabric down by it and see if that helps me. If not I will try the outline each letter by hand idea. If I go the hand emrodiery path... I could just hoop it and get to work? The embroidery shop used tearaway interfacing so there is none left. I will compare black and white and see what looks best with my blocks - - would just 1 strand of floss be enough?

bearisgray 05-29-2013 04:29 AM

If necessary - could you have it redone?
Do you have enough fabric?
Would it cost a lot?

Did you check out the thread against the fabric before getting it done?

The colors do seem to be very similar in value - but sometimes subtlety is a good thing - this could be the sort of thing that one 'bumps into' when holding the quilt.

alleyoop1 05-29-2013 05:12 AM

I wonder if a weak solution of bleach water might lighten the fabric but not bleach the thread. Or perhaps laying it out in the sun. I don't think embroidery threads fade. Risky to try though. If it's not too expensive, I'd have it redone with black thread.

meyert 05-29-2013 05:36 AM

I did compare the thread to the fabric before - and I wanted subtle... don't want it to jump out at me. But now as I am putting the quilt together it seems to be lost and may be completely missed. I have thought about redoing it...... but it took me 6 weeks to get it completed the first time. :mad: The lady is very backed up. I have another place that I could take it to..... but I figure I might as well try to "fix it" somehow before I have it redone. If I try to fix that may work and if it doesn't work then I can redo it...... I should have plenty of fabric for another shot at it. It was a little pricey, but for the memory quilt I don't mind the money. If I have it redone what color thread? Wouldn't black get lost as well?