Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   can I do free motion quilting without a darning foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-do-free-motion-quilting-without-darning-foot-t39631.html)

caedmyn 03-15-2010 12:26 PM

I was going to attempt to do some free motion quilting on a wall quilt, but I just realized I don't have a darning foot. Can I do it without one? I have a walking foot but I don't think it will work too well for the flowers I was planning to quilt.

amma 03-15-2010 01:26 PM

Other foots don't really work, because the darning foot is made to float over the top of the fabric for free motion quilting. If you are wanting to sew straight lines (grid work) or SID the walking foot is perfect for this, and what it is made for :D:D:D

athenagwis 03-15-2010 01:28 PM

Yup what she said .... the first time I put on my darning foot, I thought I did it wrong because it doesn't clamp down on the fabric like other foots, it just kind of floats over it. I have forced circles with my regular foot, but having done it, I would highly suggest against it LOL Not a pretty sight.

Rachel

caedmyn 03-15-2010 01:36 PM

I guess I'll do cross-hatching then. I wish I would have known I didn't have a darning foot before I spent 1.5 hours tracing little flowers all over the quilt.

MadQuilter 03-15-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by caedmyn
I guess I'll do cross-hatching then. I wish I would have known I didn't have a darning foot before I spent 1.5 hours tracing little flowers all over the quilt.

Can you get a darning foot? If you plan to get into FMQ, you'll need one eventually.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-15-2010 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Can you get a darning foot? If you plan to get into FMQ, you'll need one eventually.

I agree.

caedmyn 03-15-2010 03:06 PM

I don't want to spend the money right now. I wouldn't mind trying free motion quilting eventually but with another baby on the way, I really doubt I'll have any time to do any more quilting for a few years!

MISHNJIM 03-15-2010 03:13 PM

I don't want to spend the money right now. I wouldn't mind trying free motion quilting eventually but with another baby on the way, I really doubt I'll have any time to do any more quilting for a few years!

There's always time for quilting....LOL

Barb_MO 03-15-2010 03:38 PM

what is the pattern of your quilt? I have been doing a little flower like design in four patches.

cizzors 03-15-2010 07:42 PM

I just bought a darning foot from Nancy's Notions for $6.99. Check it out.