Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I make anything pretty out of this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-make-anything-pretty-out-t204680.html)

helenquilt 10-31-2012 05:01 AM

I think the picture shown would work well. No matter what you do she will spend hours just looking and remembering. I am still sleeping under a quilt I made in 1958, I enjoy looking because it was made from my maturnity dresses and my son's first shirts.

helenquilt 10-31-2012 05:02 AM

I see you live in NE Texas. I would love to help you with this quilt.

bearisgray 10-31-2012 05:03 AM

I would use larger squares - 6 inches or bigger - so Mom could savor the memories of the pieces and items made from them. You could make a piano key border to use the same fabrics again.

Caswews 10-31-2012 05:30 AM

I am sure if you move them around you will find a way to make it interesting. Love the quilt inspector by the way !

Dina 10-31-2012 06:24 AM

Thanks for the compliments on my quilts. You all make me feel good. :)

Dina

Delta 10-31-2012 06:27 AM

OHHHHH lots or pretty things. if you really don't find anything to do, mix them all up make some kids quilts and take them to your local shelter. that is what our quilt guild does. We have made well over 300 for the shelters and police for kids that get displaced from their homes. good luck on your new adventure

bibi 10-31-2012 06:56 AM

I can only echo everyone's ideas. I do love Dina's quilts. They do not look scrappy at all. Exceedingly orderly and pleasing to the eyes. Have fun with your project.

Deborahlees 10-31-2012 06:57 AM

I would use ALL the fabric, no matter what it is, corduary, wool, jeans whatever....it is more a memory quilt than anything.....What is your mothers most favorite color, purchase a nice solid and use that as your neutral sashing.....
I personally think log cabin would not feature the fabric, something either like a simple nine patch or simple strips.
MSQC has a tute on a block that I think is from the 3 Dudes in Arizona....That is going to be my next quilt....it is pretty, simple but has a little style....IMHO

patchsamkim 10-31-2012 07:05 AM

I like the simplicity of Dina's quilts, and having the solid sashing between the blocks, it keeps the quilt from looking too "busy" as could happen with a lot of other patterns. I too say go ahead and use all of the fabrics. I have used corduroy in quilts before without a problem.

conniemaried 10-31-2012 07:31 AM

Thanks, everyone for your ideas and encouragement. I like Dina's idea, except some of my scraps aren't long enough to make strips ( my bridesmaids dress scraps, especially, which I didn't even know existed!) Last night I was looking at www.epatterns.com and liked the lap quilt pattern "Flower Beds." It has 4 1/2" squares and 9x4 1/2 rectangles, and sashed all around. I think this would showcase the individual fabrics well. Would you look at this and see what you think? Thanks again.