Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I put on the binding before quilting the border? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-put-binding-before-quilting-border-t176390.html)

GrandmaSewNSew 01-21-2012 06:49 AM

Can I put on the binding before quilting the border?

My border on a table runner is 2.5 inches before putting on the binding. I'd like to do so straight quilting but want it to be 1/4 from the binding. So is it okay to put the binding on first so that I can get a straight and even line or do I have to do the binding last? Thank you!

mpspeedy 01-21-2012 07:24 AM

It is your work and you can do whatever you want. Actually it sounds like a good idea to me. Having the binding already attached will give you a definate guide for the quilting. I have actually seen that done on a bed size quilt before it was put on the frame to be quilted. It is another way to hold the sandwhich together while quilting.

grandmakim 01-21-2012 07:44 AM

I have put on binding before quilting the borders several times. Just be careful not to put to much tension on edge when applying binding. Will be beautiful.

auntpiggylpn 01-21-2012 07:49 AM

Sounds like a good idea! Could you possibly just sew the binding to the front only so you will have a guide for your 1/4" and after you finish your quilting you could sew the binding to the back.

GrandmaSewNSew 01-21-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 4895800)
Sounds like a good idea! Could you possibly just sew the binding to the front only so you will have a guide for your 1/4" and after you finish your quilting you could sew the binding to the back.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer. I think if I just sewed the binding to the front it might be a problem when I tried to quilt the border as it might get in the way. I know I can do this, I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking some problem with doing the binding first. Thanks.

Holice 01-21-2012 08:09 AM

In thinking about your question and any reason not to do it. No there isn't. However, I just finished a throw with somewhat similar situation. I quilted in the ditch a throw size that had large rectangular and square shapes in it. Shapes are like 16x12", 16"x16" etc. 12"x8" etc. You get the picture. I then went back and quilted a grid design in each of them. The only problem I had was to keep the layers flat and work out any puffiness in a uniform way across the section. I even put straight pins in front of the walking foot to make sure any excess was evenly distributed. This is most likely a similar situation you may find.

Daffy Daphne 01-21-2012 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 4895876)
I even put straight pins in front of the walking foot to make sure any excess was evenly distributed. This is most likely a similar situation you may find.

I do this a lot, especially if I'm machine quilting a project with poly batting that doesn't cling to the layers as well as cotton does. I use flat flower pins. It's a very helpful strategy.

cjr 01-21-2012 09:49 AM

For charity quilts I do them pillowcase style, turning, no binding and it works fine, requires more pinning around edges. i also do this for table runners sometimes. It works. As Holice said It is your quilt.