Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I use fabric on a lamp shade (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-use-fabric-lamp-shade-t301718.html)

craft 12-22-2018 06:17 AM

Can I use fabric on a lamp shade

I got a beautiful older lamp with a picture of a male and female mallard ducks. The shade however, has shown its years. I has some quilt fabric with some mallard ducks on it which I think would go great for covering the lamp shade. I am thinking about using some kind of quilt block design to make for the fabric shade cover.

feline fanatic 12-22-2018 06:26 AM

I have a lamp shade that is fabric covered. I didn't make it though so I can't offer any advice as to how to go about doing it. One thing is it is kind of a pain to clean. Dust and cat hair stick to it like crazy but if I brush it down with a damp wash cloth that takes care of it fairly quickly. The fabric definitely appears to be adhered to the entire surface of the shade. I am thinking something like a spray adhesive would work quite well to get good adhesive coverage without any streaks of adhesive showing when the lamp is turned on.

QuiltnNan 12-22-2018 06:32 AM

I think the only issue would be the heat that the bulb gives off. with our new, modern bulbs, they are much cooler. so using one of those, i say go for it.

SusieQOH 12-22-2018 06:39 AM

I'm wondering if fabric would make them too dark when you turn it on? That would be my only reservation.
I have 2 lamps I've had for years and the shades needed to be replaced. The new shades threw so much more light. I was pleased.

nativetexan 12-22-2018 07:02 AM

there should be videos on this. i've seen them cut out the shape wanted and then add the fabric. maybe fused...

rvsfan 12-22-2018 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by craft (Post 8180117)
I got a beautiful older lamp with a picture of a male and female mallard ducks. The shade however, has shown its years. I has some quilt fabric with some mallard ducks on it which I think would go great for covering the lamp shade. I am thinking about using some kind of quilt block design to make for the fabric shade cover.

There are many youtube videos showing how to do this.

cashs_mom 12-22-2018 07:50 AM

I have an antique lamp that my mother had. She covered the frame for the shade with cotton fabric and it's been there for years. Many older lamps had silk shades. If the shade is large enough that the bulb isn't close to it, there should be no problem.

Onebyone 12-22-2018 07:59 AM

I'd try to find a rectangle shade and then wrap the fabric around that and secure with velcro. Easy to take off to shake off or wash.

Susanna10 12-22-2018 08:44 AM

I just cut to size and put elastic on the top on bottom and put it on. Easy to take off and wash.

Sailorwoman 12-22-2018 09:23 AM

I recovered two with fabric. Do check the weave of the fabric to make sure you do get light through it and make sure you give yourself enough "play" room with the fabric. I used glue to hem the top and bottom and secured it with clothes pins while it was drying. It was fiddly, but well worth it. Have fun!