Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I use old thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-use-old-thread-t108344.html)

Chay 03-17-2011 06:55 AM

I just bought an old Bernina that came in a cabinet that was chock full of notions and thread. There are about 25 spools of Mettler Metrosene and silk thread that are unused and still have their cellophane wrappers. I think this thread is about 10 years old. Can I still use it? There's a lot of $$$ in that thread and I would hate to chuck it but I don't want to make something and have the thread disintegrate either. Does anyone have any experience with old thread?
Thanks!

Candace 03-17-2011 06:58 AM

If it was in a closed cabinet, with no light, the thread still may be useable. Tug on the thread and if it breaks easily and is brittle, chuck it.

Holice 03-17-2011 06:58 AM

test it and if strong then use it.
It should be good as it has been away from sunlight.
10 yrs is not very long for thread....
So use it.

Lori S 03-17-2011 07:01 AM

You need to do the break test. Pull of a foot or so of thread and pull/tug on it, to see how easily it breaks. Now do some of your fresh thread ... are they the same in strenght? If the older thread breaks easily , you need to toss it.

BellaBoo 03-17-2011 07:02 AM

Silk thread is the most expensive thread made. It lasts almost forever. It's great for hand quilting and applique.

milp04 03-17-2011 07:03 AM

I would check the strength of each spool of thread. What are the spools made of? Plastic or wood!

If you have wood spools, then you might want to create a sewing display of the spools with the thread on them. If they are plastic you could still create a display. You could start a thread display for just this purpose. It's going to be garage sale time soon for many of us in the US so something to look for.

I personally like to purchase new thread for my projects unless I have the thread and I know about how long I've had it around the house.

I'm not sure if there is a life to silk thread, so I will be watching this thread to see what others have to say.

Pam M

bluteddi 03-17-2011 07:25 AM

I freq use thread that I know is old ( still have price tags of .45 cents etc) as long as it " tuggs strong" I use it... it it does not seem to be strong anylonger, it goes into the trash.

I have a nice collection of " wood" spools.... they are pretty on my shelves....( I do not use these)

Ramona Byrd 03-17-2011 11:29 AM

Like others say, silk thread lasts and lasts. But I would think of it as being marvelous for crazy quilting, it has soo much decoration on it that one line failing wouldn't destroy the whole block, you could just embroider over it and no one would notice. And think of all those yummy colors that show up so nicely!

bigsister63 03-17-2011 11:38 AM

Try a sewing test with the thread on top and bottom. If thread breaks that it is probably bad and should not be used. Why take a chance after all your hard work.

kraftykimberly 03-17-2011 12:01 PM

I think some test runs on some scrap fabric pieces will help you in your decision. Sew some seams and then tug on them a bit, and put some muscle into it just for fun :-)