Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I wash a quilt before I put the binding on? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-wash-quilt-before-i-put-binding-t108606.html)

Whitney60 03-18-2011 06:43 AM

I got my quilt back from the quilter yesterday and it smells like a fabric sheet. Maybe she had an accident of some kind, but the scent makes me sneeze and is very strong. I've never had this problem before and my quilt is awasume. I have it out in my sunroom with the windows open keeping it away from me. Can I wash it before the binding is put on? Thank you.

kathy 03-18-2011 06:45 AM

I wouldn't do more than just soak it, you're gonna have a LOT of ravels and the batt may come apart at the edge if you agitate it in the washer

Donna P 03-18-2011 06:46 AM

I don't think washing it will disrupt the shape before the binding is attached if you wash it on a gentle cycle. And i would also line dry it. And for me I think I would baste around the outside before washing also. Hope you can get some relief from the sneezing.

Donna

milp04 03-18-2011 06:54 AM

I would NOT wash the quilt before binding. Can you lay it over some chairs outside for a short while. I'm thinking the outdoor fresh air will help it to air out quicker than sitting in your sunroom.

The only way if absolutely necessary (but I wouldn't) is to just soak in the washer and then spin. I would FIRST, sew all along the outside edge of the quilt the entire way around the quilt to make sure that you're binding the top, the batting and the back all sewn together at the edge. Hopefully you have not squared up your quilt, sew the edge, soak, spin, dry, then square up and sew on binding.

Is there a liquid Fabreeze that is unscented? If so, that may work. Fresh air would probably be the best solution. This may take several days of letting it sit out in the fresh air. (IMHO, this is the best course of action.)

I would be sure to ask the quilter what she used and why before giving her any other business. You may want to mention to her that she should ALWAYS ask each customer before she continues this practice with her customers. She may be trying to give you back a nice smelling quilt, or she may be trying to overcome smoking or cooking smells. She does not know this could be a problem for you, her business and customers unless you discuss the situation with her.

Good luck, please keep us updated on the progress of your quilt project, and please share photos if you're able.

Pam M

mimom 03-18-2011 06:56 AM

if you must wash it in order to finish the binding, I would put it in a pillow case pin it shut and run it on a very gentle cycle, same with the dryer

Whitney60 03-18-2011 06:57 AM

Maybe I'll take a couple advil.. sew the binding on, then it won't ravel.. Donna

justwannaquilt 03-18-2011 08:13 AM

"Baste" around the whole outside of the quilt with a short machine stitch 1/8 inch from the UNFINISHED edge and it won't ravel, nor will the batting come apart. It won't lose its shape. It will be a quilt without binding! and when you DO put the binding on, the baste stitching will be covered by your bidning!

This is what I would do if letting it air out for a while doesn't work!

CompulsiveQuilter 03-18-2011 09:53 AM

I have done this twice with no problem! (I woke in the middle of the night worrying that my markings wouldn't come off). Baste tightly around the edges and agitate very little. I even dried it all the way in the dryer. No problems at all.

ckcowl 03-18-2011 12:09 PM

not recommended...just get the binding on it then wash it...you could possibly put it in a bag with febreeze or baking soda for a couple days if the fresh air doesn't make it less enough to be able to bind it.
i would certainly mention this to the quilter, asking her not to use anything scented in the future.