Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can one machine sew hexies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-one-machine-sew-hexies-t297003.html)

themadpatter 05-17-2018 07:52 PM

Can one machine sew hexies?

As I whip stitch them, I keep thinling the a tiny zigzag would work just as well...

Has anyone done these on a machine?

Teen 05-17-2018 07:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
That's exactly how I did mine..with tiny zigzag... Here is a block and closeup shot... Used matching thread color and can barely see it. You could also use Monopoly invisible thread.

Gay 05-17-2018 08:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Absolutely. I did mine with 1/4" seams & found it very therapeutic after getting used to those set-in points. Also found one doesn't have to stitch right to the points, and it leaves a bit of play when pressing the seams. My hexies were 2" from side to side, but next time they will be bigger, as I thought I'd never finish.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594572[/ATTACH]

mea12 05-18-2018 05:06 AM

I agree that's a fine look ..and definitely is NOT cheating..it lends a bit of interest and looks intentional. Gay, I love your neutral hexie quilt!! its completely charming in a modern way!

Geri B 05-18-2018 06:15 AM

Along with the zigzag as shown, I watched Craftsy during their free weekend and an instructor-Helen Stubing- last name maybe wrong, did it differntly. She put face to face as if going to whip, but used a try blind hem stitch with invisible thread, and joined that way...haven't tried it yet, but looked interesting.......

humbird 05-18-2018 06:20 AM

It would depend on the look you are after. Do a sample with the zig zag. If you are happy with it, go for it.

Google "machine sewing hexagon quilt blocks" I watched a few videos. There were more.

thimblebug6000 05-18-2018 06:52 AM

Years ago Kaye Wood used to join hexies by machine, but can't remember her method. Maybe you could do a search on it?

Prism99 05-18-2018 09:24 AM

You know, they can also be machine-sewn together just as other pieced blocks are -- right sides together, 1/4" seam, straight stitching. This is easier to do the bigger the hexies are. You do have to adjust and turn corners at intersections, but it's not too hard to do if the pieces are big enough.

I tried whip stitching hexies together years ago and decided it was not for me. For one thing, the repetitive motions required for whip stitching were hard on my hands. For another, I just could not see why so many tiny stitches (which are also visible) would be better than hand sewing the pieces together. I ended up hand piecing small hexies (the way one would hand piece any quilt block) and was much happier with that method, especially after watching a Jinny Beyer video where she demonstrated how she does it.

Tiggersmom 05-18-2018 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 8060132)
That's exactly how I did mine..with tiny zigzag... Here is a block and closeup shot... Used matching thread color and can barely see it. You could also use Monopoly invisible thread.

Teen, yours look amazing......what stitch length and width did you use?
I did 2 small projects by hand and though I love the look I knew there had to be a easier way.
Thanks for sharing.

Onebyone 05-19-2018 05:41 AM

I have handstitched them without basting with papers. I hold two together and and stitch a 1/4 seam. I start 1/4 from the end and stop 1/4 from the end.