Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   can this quilt be saved (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-quilt-saved-t254644.html)

sylviasmom 10-03-2014 07:34 AM

Add the blocks you removed to increase the backing.

kacie 10-03-2014 08:08 AM

Depending on how high the bed is, you might consider leaving it at king size. When we had a queen sized bed I thought the queen quilts looked a little skimpy so I always used a king quilt or spread. But then, I like the to-the-floor look.

nananurse 10-03-2014 09:50 AM

I have some quilts that were made in the late 20's from my dad's side of the family that have neither a border nor a traditional binding. The backing of the quilt was turned up and over the bind the quilt. There isn't a pattern on some of them either, just two or three (depending on the size) flour/sugar sacks sew together to make the top. I agree with Sewnoma your quilt your rules.

meganc731 10-03-2014 10:28 AM

I checked out a book from the library recently by Julie Herman called Skip the Borders :D I thought the quilts looked nicer. So I say skip 'em!!

misseva 10-03-2014 10:30 AM

There are no borders on my mother & grandmother's quilts either. They were all scrappy. I like scrappy & hate making borders so I usually don't - just make more blocks. And they always folded over the back to the front for binding. I like that too.

MargeD 10-03-2014 10:47 AM

Quilts do not always have to have borders. Too bad you had to "unsew" those blocks. I like to make my quilts a little larger - my first king size quilt was 110 x 110", as I wanted some of the quilt as my DH was a quilt hog. LOL. Also when asked to make a quilt for our DGD my DS and DDIL said she was getting a twin size bed. Well, fast forward to a month or two after finishing the quilt top (I had to take a break as I had shoulder surgery and couldn't quilt it), they changed their minds and put her into a full size bed. Imagine my joy when I measured the quilt, which already had border put on that it really was a full size bed, good thing as I was just finishing putting the binding on before we left to give it to her on Christmas Eve.

cathyvv 10-03-2014 01:13 PM

Are you quilting on a frame? I quilt most of my quilts with backing only 2" larger all around. If it's not enough, I sew an additional 2 or 3 inches all around the backing and then mount the quilt. When I'm done, the extra fabric is cut off anyway.

If you're not quilting on a frame, I can't think of a reason why the same technique wouldn't work for you.

Good luck!

cathyvv 10-03-2014 01:14 PM

Good idea.

GailG 10-03-2014 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt (Post 6911796)
Pillowcase style?

I've already seen an old quilt that had the whole sandwich turned under to the back in a double hem. It wasn't very thick, perhaps had flannel or an old thin blanket as batting.

charsuewilson 10-03-2014 05:06 PM

I would second the "don't worry too much about the size." As long as the quilt is not dragging on the floor, it's not too big. I made a quilt for my parents double bed that is technically king size, because at some point, one of the children or grandchildren will have it and will have a larger bed.