Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   can somebody please help me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-somebody-please-help-me-t22708.html)

bearisgray 07-13-2009 08:40 AM

The measurements given in that pattern should work - but they sure aren't the ones I would have used. :?

loves2quilt 07-13-2009 10:22 AM

I appreciate all the tips everyone, especially the visual aids...its easier for me to wrap my mind around something when I can actually see it. I think this will help me alot, I hope this will help. I just walked away from it last night I was getting to the point where I wanted to trash the whole thing, and I still might! I have all my material cut which is the sad thing. I really cant go to my stash and get more, there isnt anymore that will work. I will work on it later and try your tips and let you know how it goes. You ladies are great!! :)

bearisgray 07-13-2009 10:47 AM

This is a neat looking unit, but it can be quite frustrating - it just doesn't LOOK right when one is putting the pieces together.

Just step back - take a deep breath - it will go together okay.

MadQuilter 07-13-2009 11:19 AM

I think we are so used to lining up the pieces that it is unnatural to offset the triangles. Have been there and have done that.

I would suggest that you start with a scrap set (same size as you have now) and just play with the alignment. Pin two sides together and then finger press them open. Do this to both sides. You will see if they fit or not and you can definitely tell which side has too much overhang. At that point, you'll know which direction to adjust.

Good luck and don't give up. Just think, you'll soon be an expert at this.

BlueChicken 07-13-2009 01:07 PM

Ahhhhh..... the little light bulb over my head went off looking at the triangles with the grid. That makes it so much easier!

bearisgray 07-14-2009 05:30 AM

I realize I should have put this in at the beginning.

I drew the seam allowances in.

The amount of line BETWEEN the circles should be the same.

Maybe this will help show why this works like it does.

bearisgray 07-14-2009 05:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
notice that the edges don't match

the amount of line between the circle should match, though

triangle pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36623[/ATTACH]

LindaR 07-14-2009 05:38 AM

I have a handy ruler for these 60º things...sure help alot with the quilt I did.....LOL

bearisgray 07-14-2009 06:05 AM

When I first saw this unit, I also thought it was an equilateral triangle flanked by 30-60-90 degree triangles.

It isn't.

The angles are - approximately - on the skinny triangle: 26.57, 63.43 and 90 degrees

The angles on the bigger triangle are - approximately: the base angles are 63.44, 63.44, and the top angle is 53.12 degrees

The easiest way to draft this is by drawing a square, then putting in the triangle lines and adding seam allowances to the triangles.

bearisgray 07-14-2009 06:15 AM

At one time this was available - don't know if it is anymore or not -
BiRangle Ruler by Mary Hickey.