Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can someone with EQ help me out please? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-someone-eq-help-me-out-please-t259006.html)

WTxRed 12-31-2014 04:46 PM

Can someone with EQ help me out please?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi. Could someone with eq7 (or another version) help me with this please? I need my unfinished size to be 4-1/2" for this block.
I 'x- cut' the black and white pieces from a square but don't remember its size so I don't know how much to enlarge it. The tan triangles are cut diagonally from a square also. If someone would be so kind to help me with the sizes of the 3 squares, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504294[/ATTACH]

Lori S 12-31-2014 06:12 PM

Have you tried drawing it as if it where paper pieced? Often if I struggle I go back to basics... draw it on paper as if it was finished size. Then cut the units and add the seam allowances.

juneayerza 12-31-2014 06:22 PM

Lori - this is how I do it all the time!

WTxRed 12-31-2014 07:09 PM

lol no, I hadn't even thought of that! I was too focused on the task at hand that I couldn't see the forrest for the trees! Thanks for the tip - I'll go try this. Appreciate your help :)

Weezy Rider 01-01-2015 05:36 AM

Just did this in EQ7 for my project.

Bottom of triangle is 4 5/8. Sides are 3 3/8. Triangle is 2 5/8 high.

Cut the other triangles out on the Sizzix.

bearisgray 01-01-2015 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 7029316)
Just did this in EQ7 for my project.

Bottom of triangle is 4 5/8. Sides are 3 3/8. Triangle is 2 5/8 high.

Cut the other triangles out on the Sizzix.

I am of the mind that having those tools/equipment available is helpful, but knowing how to draft a unit with graph paper is still a good thing.

Weezy Rider 01-01-2015 07:25 AM

Why? You can do it in any drafting program, even Gimp or Photoshop. It takes less time on the computer. Not much different if you use a drafting program. All the computer is doing is the math from your measurements, and computers are good at that. You are still using graph paper but it's digital. You don't buy the software to not use it. Gimp and Inkscape are open source programs and free. Whole tutorial on Gimp somewhere on this site.

The pattern instructions sizing was wrong. I cut out the printed template and stuck it on a ruler for a jig. Able to correct the original error. I used EQ7 since it was on the computer I was using. If I was using the Linux box, I would have used Inkscape which would be the electronic graph paper. I'd have the measurements printed out. In this case, I just might enter the size of the triangle and go in reverse. Put the QST back as a square and see what the actual size of the square you were supposed to use, was.

PaperPrincess 01-01-2015 10:27 AM

Please check my math with some scrap fabric! Cut squares of black and white fabrics, 5.5". Make 2 half square triangles, and trim them to 5". Cut a taupe 5" square, pair it with one of the B&W HSTs, make a HST, then trim to 4.5"

ManiacQuilter2 01-01-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 7028841)
Have you tried drawing it as if it where paper pieced? Often if I struggle I go back to basics... draw it on paper as if it was finished size. Then cut the units and add the seam allowances.

Just draw it as you want the size of the block on EQ and the select paper piecing and be sure to enter the size of the block before you print. It seems to always default to 6".

Michellesews 01-01-2015 12:07 PM

Wheezy Rider: Not everyone has the program nor the knowledge of how to use them. Your post comes across very condescending, at least in my opinion.