Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you buy colour-catchers in Canada? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-buy-colour-catchers-canada-t135236.html)

Quiltmaniac2010 07-04-2011 04:06 PM

Hi There:

I'm hoping that my fellow Canadian quilters can help me out here. I have been looking for the colour catchers that I have read about on the board and seen in USA TV commercials. Can you get them in Canada? I live in a very small town, but have checked in larger centres (whenever they let me out!!) and haven't been able to find them. I think Tide makes one and maybe Cheer? Also, will they help take colour out that bled into my quilt if I wash it with one a couple of times? Grrrrr - I even prewashed that fabric twice!! Thanks for your help.

Linda

loves_2_quilt 07-04-2011 04:10 PM

A color catcher will not take out a color that has all ready ran. They catch the dyes that come out of fabrics in the wash. I use them a lot and am very pleased with the results.

thimblebug6000 07-04-2011 04:32 PM

Hi there... I know what you're going through.... because I always pre-wash but have had a couple bad experiences with colours running. I try to make sure my fabric is not colouring the water BEFORE I use it....remember I said try.... but I have been using OxiClean Colour Catcher which I purchased here in BC, sorry can't remember exact store, but it says Made in Ireland for 20/20 Direct, 59 Ambassador Dr., Mississauga, Ont.....hmmmm.. probably somebody like Saveon Foods in the detergent aisle or maybe even Walmart (although I don't usually shop there) Just as an aside.... I recently washed a scrappy mystery quilt...ALL the fabrics had been prewashed but I popped a little colour catcher in... it came out pink...I was relieved that I had put it in....BUT.... soooo disappointed when I brought the quilt out of the dryer.... yup.....one of the reds had bled into a white.... it seems red & white is the worst, but I have had problems with navy & white also..... it's interesting to me that it doesn't bleed into the creams....I wonder if there is more wax or whatever in their finishes? With my navy problem, I just kept washing & washing it....and now... the navy bleed is not visible (but still there a little) Good luck with what you try!

craftybear 07-04-2011 04:52 PM

I sure hope you can find them in Canada

I would ask your local grocery stores to see if they can special order this item for you

Craftybear

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010
Hi There:

I'm hoping that my fellow Canadian quilters can help me out here. I have been looking for the colour catchers that I have read about on the board and seen in USA TV commercials. Can you get them in Canada? I live in a very small town, but have checked in larger centres (whenever they let me out!!) and haven't been able to find them. I think Tide makes one and maybe Cheer? Also, will they help take colour out that bled into my quilt if I wash it with one a couple of times? Grrrrr - I even prewashed that fabric twice!! Thanks for your help.

Linda

quilt gramma 07-04-2011 04:56 PM

I live in BC in Campbell River and found them at 2 places now . They are called SHOUT Colour Catcher you 24 in a box and said made by Johnson. I got them at Thriftys food store and funny thing is also the Dollar store carried them as well and were 2.00 there so was cheaper to buy there . They are exactly the same product .
Good luck ..

twistedstitcher 07-04-2011 05:20 PM

I've looked for them in Alberta but haven't seen them. Someone posted not long ago that they got some at Zellers so I checked there. I found one beat up box on a clearance rack. I stocked up when they were still available in grocery stores and Walmart so I have enough for a while. Maybe quilt gramma could send you some?

LindaM 07-04-2011 05:23 PM

Walmart in southwest Ontario carried them for a bit, but haven't been able to find them again in the last couple of months. As QuiltGramma found, the ones I found were SHOUT Colour Catchers.

QuiltE 07-04-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM
Walmart in southwest Ontario carried them for a bit, but haven't been able to find them again in the last couple of months. As QuiltGramma found, the ones I found were SHOUT Colour Catchers.

Several have posted that Zellers have them here in Ontario. I did find them in one Zellers, and couple others did not have them.

For those familiar with Colour Catchers .... do they really do anything more than if you toss in a piece of white cloth to tell you in the fabric is running?

quilterella 07-05-2011 01:40 AM

I've looked everywhere for them, including Zeller's and Walmart, without any luck. I ordered a case from Amazon.com. It was a box of 12, each with 24 sheets. Shout ColourCatchers, and the price is very reasonable, I think it ended up being about $5.00/box including shipping. Good Luck in your search.

quilterella 07-05-2011 01:43 AM

For those familiar with Colour Catchers .... do they really do anything more than if you toss in a piece of white cloth to tell you in the fabric is running?[/quote]

I think they really work. I put a bright pink tshirt in with a regular load and tossed in 2 colourcatchers as an after thought and was glad I did, otherwise my DH would be wearing pink tshirts and socks. I use them for almost everything.