Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you purchase care labels for quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-purchase-care-labels-quilts-t130891.html)

newestnana 06-16-2011 05:07 AM

I usually tell people how to wash the quilts I give them (and I include a package of color catchers with the quilt) but am thinking I really should attach a label that says something like
Machine wash gentle cycle cold water with color catcher.

By the way, do we suggest machine dry low heat? Or should quilts be line dried?

Anyway, it seems like it would be nice to be able to purchase these labels (rather than make them ourselves). Has anybody found a source?

Thanks in advance 8-)

QuiltE 06-16-2011 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana
I usually tell people how to wash the quilts I give them (and I include a package of color catchers with the quilt) but am thinking I really should attach a label that says something like
Machine wash gentle cycle cold water with color catcher.

By the way, do we suggest machine dry low heat? Or should quilts be line dried?

Anyway, it seems like it would be nice to be able to purchase these labels (rather than make them ourselves). Has anybody found a source?

Thanks in advance 8-)

Instructions would vary .... why not make your own labels?

ckcowl 06-16-2011 05:21 AM

wet quilts should NOT be hung on a clothes line- the weight of the wet fabric/batting can stretch the quilt out of shape- and even break threads. they should be tumble dried- (whether hot dryer or low-heat would depend on the quilt) or in you want to dry it outside in the fresh air the way it is done is to lay a clean sheet out on the ground- lay the wet quilt out on the sheet, then cover it with a second sheet (to protect it from bird droppings)
at some point flip it over- it takes a long time to dry them this way unless conditions are perfect with warm sunshine and just enough breeze- but they come in smelling like they were on the line.
my mom has a large double set of clothes lines with i think 10 lines total- she does drape hers across the top of all the lines to dry it- the weight is distributed with only a little hanging over the sides- she does still put a sheet over it again 'cause of the birds.

star619 06-16-2011 05:44 AM

Well, I doubt most of our families & friends are could/are going go to all that trouble.I have a non-agitator washing machine with a BULKY ITEMS setting exactly for that reason. I wash them on gentle, cool water. When they come out, I place them on gentle for drying & set the dryer for 15 minutes. They are still barely damp when I take them out. I take some of my dining chairs with tall backs and corral them to make a canopy with my damp quilt over the top.As there ar seldom birds in the house, I only have to flip the quilt once, & let air dry. My only problem with this solution is when a fur baby finds the dry hammock before I have picked it up. :wink:
Surely, someone in this talented group could work something up for sale. I see an unmet need in the retail Market!

CoyoteQuilts 06-16-2011 06:03 AM

I have always washed and dried my quilts in a machine. I figure that the people that get my quilts aren't going to be real fussy how they take care of them.

Now if I was making one with a price tag like Sharon Schambers that would be a different story :roll:

I have a person that I am purchasing labels from for my small items. I have an e-mail address and if anybody wants it just PM me. I really don't want to it post here in the open forum. I haven't received anything from her as yet, but will by the end of the month. So far she has been great to work with.

amma 06-16-2011 06:08 AM

I can't think of anyone who I give my quilts too, who don't use a washer and dryer. So I make them to withstand the use of both :D:D:D

bearisgray 06-16-2011 06:31 AM

I haven't seen any, but it seems to be a good idea.

There might need to be several versions available.

The only thing I would absolutely want on the labels is:

DO NOT USE BLEACH!

lllog 06-16-2011 06:35 AM

There are several care labels available, but we make our own using photofabric.

Lanny

Rebecca VLQ 06-16-2011 07:19 AM

Look on ETSY. I got some labels that just have my name and WWW on them. Maybe 50 cents a piece or a dollar or something. You can do as many text lines as the label allows, I think. Like you wouldn't choose a mini address size, but maybe a 2" x 3" label...