Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you Quilt with Homespun? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-quilt-homespun-t183506.html)

KyKaren1949 03-20-2012 04:27 PM

Can you Quilt with Homespun?

I saw a log cabin made from all plaids this winter and fell in love with it. It looked like they were all homespun fabrics and vewry scrappy looking. So...I started collecting them toward the end of the season when everyone was marking them on clearance. I think I have more than enough to make a huge quilt.

I was looking forward to starting on this during the late summer, but this weekend, I was discussing it with some friends while at a retreat and they tell me it's awful to work with and will not be suitable for a quilt because it ravels so much. They recommended that I not even try it.

Anyone have words of wisdom for me? I'm not sure what to do now; whether to try it or do something different. Has anyone else used homespun with a log cabin or pieced quilt with good luck? If I do take the time to make this, is it going to hold up when laundered????

ckcowl 03-20-2012 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
oh my goodness---- there are FABULOUS quilts made with homespuns!!!
it is so sad when people who have no experience with something are so negative about it.
here's a picture of my latest homespun quilt- if you search homespun quilts you will find many many more.
the only things to keep in mind is-
prewash- they are a looser weave than regular cottons- so shrink more
starch before cutting will help you with more accurate cuts
press carefully to not stretch them into wonky shapes.
enjoy the process

joyce888 03-20-2012 04:43 PM

Homespuns are also good for raggedy edge quilts.

wuv2quilt 03-20-2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5077237)
oh my goodness---- there are FABULOUS quilts made with homespuns!!!
it is so sad when people who have no experience with something are so negative about it.
here's a picture of my latest homespun quilt- if you search homespun quilts you will find many many more.
the only things to keep in mind is-
prewash- they are a looser weave than regular cottons- so shrink more
starch before cutting will help you with more accurate cuts
press carefully to not stretch them into wonky shapes.
enjoy the process

ckcowl, What a GREAT quilt!!!! Thanks for sharing your quilt and your knowledge of homespuns....I've been saving up homespuns too, and was a little reluctant to get started with them.....Thanks for the heads-up on working with them :)

Valerie Ann 03-20-2012 05:01 PM

That is a beautiful quilt. Did you use a walking foot, or just your regular foot?

Annaquilts 03-20-2012 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They make wonderful quilts that people generally love. They feel softer. I agree on prewashing, starching and ironing. Also I think it lends it self better to larger pieces and rectangular shapes better then tiny triangular pieces. I think a log cabin would be a perfect project for it. Please post when you have completed it.

Here is a large queen size quilt made with home spun and regular fabric.

jaciqltznok 03-20-2012 05:31 PM

WOW...this is really pretty!

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 5077320)
They make wonderful quilts that people generally love. They feel softer. I agree on prewashing, starching and ironing. Also I think it lends it self better to larger pieces and rectangular shapes better then tiny triangular pieces. I think a log cabin would be a perfect project for it. Please post when you have completed it.

Here is a large queen size quilt made with home spun and regular fabric.

virtualbernie 03-20-2012 05:41 PM

Like someone said before they really make beautiful rag quilts.

WilliP 03-20-2012 06:39 PM

I would stitch close to the edges either zigzag or serge them before you prewash. As for homespuns and quilting --what do you think our pioneer ancestors used? I think the key is to prewash then press before cutting. Starch if desired. Do a sample up of some to see what they do before you start major cutting.

ckcowl 03-21-2012 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann (Post 5077308)
That is a beautiful quilt. Did you use a walking foot, or just your regular foot?

the picture of my quilt is one where it is still in strips-laid out on my bed- the top is not finished yet---
i pretty much never ever use my walking foot- i used a regular foot- regular stitch length- regular thread & needle-
when i quilted it i use the long-arm- i didn't realize i had posted a pic of it before constructed until you asked this question- so, it's not quilted yet in this one- it is still under construction. :)