Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you recommend a quilting/sewing machine tote? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-recommend-quilting-sewing-machine-tote-t193705.html)

Suzan88 07-05-2012 09:30 AM

Can you recommend a quilting/sewing machine tote?

I'm going to a three-day quilting show and attending three day-long workshops so I need something in which to transport my machine and project kits. I've looked on line but the three piece Hemline one with a bag for quilting mats & rulers, another one for fabric plus the sewing machine tote on wheels, which one would think would be ideal, didn't have good reviews because of problems with the handle. If you have one of these what do you think of it?

mom-6 07-05-2012 09:47 AM

I've seen totes at office supply stores that are like a plastic file crate with a handle. I would think that if they are designed to move what is basically a whole file drawer of paperwork they would be strong enough, but big enough, not sure. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Scissor Queen 07-05-2012 10:41 AM

I have two machine bags. I have an inexpensive side handle one from JoAnn's. It's okay. I've been dragging my Pfaff around in it for several years now. I also have a Tutto bag my Janome 6600 fits into. It has an end handle and is super easy to move around. It's also an extremely tough tote with the steel frame. Since I don't take the Janome out very much the Pfaff will likely inherit that bag.

Suzan88 07-05-2012 11:16 AM

I like the Tutto - and it's a 6600 I have too -

delma_paulk 07-05-2012 12:11 PM

I have a machine bag I bought at Joann's several years ago when it was on sale.Dont' remember the name of it. It has been good and still in good shape, I have even used it as a suitcase/overnight case, it has wheels. Have the large one from Joann's, bought on sale, wheeled that I use for fabric and rulers and my little tool caddy. Between the two I've been able to take what I needed to events, use the small one every week when I go to our quilt group.

delma

mcwillia 07-05-2012 12:54 PM

I have the Blue Fig trio set which I have dragged to sewing retreats and weekly quilt guild meetings. The handle is sturdy and a good length. Would you believe 25 pockets to stash sewing/quilting tools??
http://www.allbrands.com/categories/...roller-case-cb

Suze9395 07-05-2012 03:08 PM

I love my Tutto! It's lime green! I have been using it for, gosh, 7-8 years, I think. Only wish I gotten a larger one, I bought a larger machine. It's great, it's super strong and collapses semi flat to store. I got the matching serger bag to put my projects in.

Dolphyngyrl 07-05-2012 06:23 PM

I really like my bluefig and they are cheaper than tutto. allbrands has the best price

AliKat 07-05-2012 11:21 PM

Wow, what an opportunity. How soon are you going to be leaving? Also driving or going with someone else in a car?

If you have time, you can make your own totes. Then all you need is a folding wheeled luggage carrier for your machine and to put your totes on.

I have the Tutto but it is getting too much for me to handle anymore. So now I just plan on making more that one t rip from my car to the room where the quilting things go. I do use a piece of luggage to take my quilting things in.

ali

Suzan88 07-06-2012 12:55 AM

Alicat, I'm going to the one in Augusta, Maine at the end of the month and, hopefully, taking classes in fabric manipulation with Rami Kim, quirky applique with Mickey Depre and a stashbasher project with Linda J Hahn. By the end of the weekend I will be able to make exotic bags with a quirky vibe from fabric I already own. How good is that! I've sent off my application form and I'm just waiting for confirmation of my first choice classes.
My husband will go with me and when he's not doing his research and writing, which he can pretty much do anywhere, he will relax by the hotel pool, work out in the gym and meet me for dinner in the evenings. So that should work for both of us. I'm really looking forward to it.